Bleeding tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pepsiloveshotdogs, Jul 26, 2010.

1. pepsiloveshotdogs

pepsiloveshotdogs In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Hi everyone,

One of my kids friends spooked the girls today and Hoot tried to jump up to her roost from the back side and took quite a hit on her tailfeathers. She had lots of new pin feathers growing in there and that looks like where the bleeding is/was coming from. I did notice one of them is split.
    I brought her in the house, put her in the kitchen sink and sprayed it down. The blood had already started to clot on its own and I didn't see any new bleeding. I am thinking I can just let this be and she will heal fine BUT if the other birds see the dried blood will they begin picking at it?

Any advice would be truly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

2. pepsiloveshotdogs

Jul 11, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I just saw one of the others pick at it...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Thats a blood feather. You may want to pull it [​IMG] It will stop the bleeding (if it is still bleeding) clean her up really good get all the dried blood off because if you don't the others WILL most likely Pick at her..and somtimes they pick each other to death because of small things like this. [​IMG] good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. pepsiloveshotdogs

Jul 11, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Ahhh...thank you for the reply. I might bring her in for the night tonight-hopefully that will help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by