bleeding tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kemclaughlin, May 17, 2011.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    So one of my easter egger has bleeding tail feathers. I know that they are feather picking, they are overcrowded and I cannot fix it until the I can move them to the coop in a few days. I have separated her out. Is there anything more I need to do to care for the feathers or will it heal on it's own?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can spray the wound with Blu Kote or put some no pick lotion on them. I get mine at the feed store.

If you are worried about infection, the Blu Kote will help, or you can spread antibiotic ointment with no pain killers.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm having this problem as well with my White Rock. We thought they stopped picking at her back and bottom and that she was healing well, but everyone went outside today for the first time. I just went out to check on them and she's bleeding again.

If not overcrowding - is there anything else that can be causing this?

Kem... did you get what was advised to try? How is she doing now?

4. ChickensAreSweet

Also they have pinless peepers but I haven't tried them. They are blinders for chickens.

It helps to make sure that you are giving enough protein in the feed if you have feather picking.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    We moved them out to the coop to give them more space. I also fed them a bunch of treats with protein in them. I did not try the blu-kote. I was not too worried about infection, but I was not sure if the feathers would stop bleeding on their own. She is fine now with no more feather picking problems.

6. ChickensAreSweet

Yay!!! [​IMG]

I am glad to hear all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by