bleeding toe!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rooneytune, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    I went to check on my girls and they were playing "chase me with the wood chip in my mouth" [​IMG]I realized they were so into the game because there were spots of blood all around the brooder (chicks are almost 4 weeks). I found one of my EEs had a broken toe nail that was bleeding! I called the feed store and they said to put corn starch on it (which I did) and keep her separate (did that too) So she is in her own plastic aquarium (which is pretty small for her) with food and water. is there anything else I should do? Should I cut of the broken piece of toe nail? is this common? HELP!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Relax, you're doing fine. You'll have to decide whether to try to trim the nail. Those are some pretty small nails and pretty fragile leg and foot bones. Offhand, I'd say I wouldn't, but then I am not there to see it.

Just get rid of the blood (which you've probably already done) and put the chick back as soon as the blood on the toe is not obvious.

When people ask about first aid supplies, about the only thing I recommend is BluKote, because you should be able to put a little on a minor wound like that and return the chicken to the flock, as the color of it (which will stain everything) hides the blood.

I had to deal with a foot injury once on a mature hen, and I didn't have BluKote. It had healed enough within about 3 hours that I was able to return her to the flock without incident. Chickens really heal quickly.

Good luck.

3. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Ok.so girl with toe much better and back with the flock but now one of the others has a bloody spot on her comb! I am hoping it was just stress from miss a sister that caused some pecking .... grrrr.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Might be time to look at their environment. Pecking will get worse if they are feeling crowded or bored. Also, if they are too hot, if they are small and still under a heat lamp. Young chicks benefit from trips outdoors during the day even if you feel they still need the brooder and heat lamp at night. I'm just guessing they are young, of course.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When one of mine broke a toenail I tried the corn starch thing and it just wouldn't stem the flow...I ended up taking her to the vet where he cauterized the toenail. A few days later, however, a friend with chickens told me that spider web are excellent for stopping blood flow. So, I'm passing this little gem on. Hope I don't have to try it, but if so, it will be a lot cheaper than the vet! Glad yours stopped with the cornstarch! [​IMG]

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I had a bantam get her toenail pulled off by her siblings. I applied blood stop powder and in few days the nail fell off on it's own. Like that spider web idea. Seems like I heard that one other time. I will have to try that, I seem to always have that on hand.

7. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Just wanted to add that black pepper is a good stopped also! Had a hen lose a toenail and we used black pepper and wrapped it with bandaids. Three days later bandaid was still on and no problems from there on! Ground black pepper!!!!!!!

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Yay Chicks! :

When one of mine broke a toenail I tried the corn starch thing and it just wouldn't stem the flow...I ended up taking her to the vet where he cauterized the toenail. A few days later, however, a friend with chickens told me that spider web are excellent for stopping blood flow. So, I'm passing this little gem on. Hope I don't have to try it, but if so, it will be a lot cheaper than the vet! Glad yours stopped with the cornstarch! [​IMG]

Woah! Thats an awesome tip!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by