Bleeding toes

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ttack27, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Ttack27

Ttack27 New Egg

Jul 3, 2011
    I moved my 6 week old bobwhites into a larger cage made of hardware wire two weeks ago. Every day this past week I have had a dead one everyday. All of the deads had a bloody foot. I have two with bloody feet right now and have seen othets pecking at them. Is this a problem caused by the wire? Thanks

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    How big is the wire? or how wide in that matter? In my suspicion, seems like something is trying to grab them?

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    It sounds like you have a toe picker. Its common in Bobs. Alot of times its from over crowding a bit, but I had one that did it at 2 days old. A change from brooder to grow out pen triggered it to start once too. Alex could very well be right, something grabbing birds from underneath, that happens too. Watch your birds, if one walks around with his head down, looking at the others feet and, them pecks. Thats your toe picker. Toe picker's feet will have no wounds... If you can catch him and get him out, the others will heal fast. Blue kote will cover the wounds and make them less of a target too. I made the mistake of trying to "reform" a toe picker once....no more. Once I find out for sure, the bird is on the menu. Only other option To stay in my pen would be a bit...Good luck, Bill

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Welcome to bobwhites, they are killing themselves. If something was grabbing the it would pull their feet down through the wire, I think they are just pecking. That's a very common problem in bobwhites. They are very aggressive, that is part of why I sold mine.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NO ITS NORMAL AGRESSIVE BOB BEHAVIOR. THEY NEED MORE SPACE AND HIDING PLACES OR IT WILL CONTINUE TO ESCALATE

6. GeeJay

GeeJay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Horton, MI
    I was also having this problem with the bleeding toes...so I watched and found the culprit! Thanks for posting, I was at wits end trying to protect the new hatches!

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I wouldn't put him back with the rest with out a bit or beak adjustment... [​IMG] But that's just my humble opinion, there are differing opinions on this Subject. Good luck, Bill

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually you will get a toe picker when the bobs get meal worms when they are young they reccommend to wait till there a little older [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If A Bob Hatches You Get A Toe Picker.... The Addition Of Meal Worms Merely "fine Tunes" The Trait. It's A Natural Part Of Their Junkyard Dog Mentality And Behavior. Its Also A Favorite Method Of Adult Hens.... They Get Crazy Mean Or Ticked Off Over Something And Start Hobbling The Rest Of The Pen Mates By Biting Toes/ Feet/ Ankles. It Can Be A Transient Behavior Or A Daily Behavior....really Depends On The Picker And Why They Feel It Necessary. Most Commonly The Cause Is Overcrowding, But In Both Young And Adult Birds It May Merely Be A Way Of Estabolishing Dominance Or Pecking Order

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by