Bleeding wattle!! Other chickens are pecking!

sixchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Need some advice...I have 6 pullet hens who have been together since they were small chicks. Yesterday, on my Rhode Island Red, the best layer, I noticed she had a small bleeding cut on her wattle. I cleaned it up and when I checked this morning, it looked like a small scab. This afternoon, it is bleeding again and the other chickens seem to be pecking at her. She looks like she has peck marks now on the same side of her head near her comb and eyes. What do I do? Does it cause her more stress to separate her or leave her with her coop mates? Will the other chickens just keep pecking at her? Please advise!
hide.gif

Separate her ASAP, and let her heal. The other chickens will continue picking at her, and the wound will never heal. Chickens will always pick at anything that bleeds. or any wound.

I agree with OregonChickenGal. I also recommend you buy some Blu Kote at your feed store and put it on the wounds. Blu Kote will disinfect the wounds and protect your RIR from being picked/pecked on....sounds like she might be at the bottom of the pecking order to me. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I separated her and she seems to not be too stressed out. I will buy the ointment you suggest and make sure her wound heals. Thanks again....I'm new to chickens!

Just so that you know Blu-Kote is an airesol spray that is blue.... (when I went to get some thae first time I asked for the ointment blue coat and they gave me an airesol can that said Blu-Kote on it...
hu.gif
idunno.gif
I was confused until they explained it to me! LOL!)
lol.png
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom