blending different age chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smcdermott, Dec 28, 2014.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    So sorry, I am new to this.
    Just got 2 2day old silkie chicks.
    Can I put them in with my one 4week old silkie chick so that they both have the heat lamp?
    OR do they need to be seperated??

Aslo I am reading that at 4 to 5 weeks they don't need the heat lamp any longer? How will I know for sure?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll know when they stay away from it. They may still pile up under it at night but that doesn't mean they need it.

I'd wait till the youngest are 4 or 5 days old so they're more mobile. Make sure they have lots of space in case one of the older ones want to be a bully.

1 person likes this.
  3. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had them together. It worked for me, but some things could go wrong with this. I would try it and see how the older ones act with the younger ones. For the heat, I woul try to wean them all off when the older ones are eight weeks old. The babies will be fine if the older ones where anything like mine. My older female silkie chick tried to cover the babies and would show them where the food is, and make sweet little noises at them. It was adorable. I am hoping it means she will be a future good mother.

1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Some time back, I had two batches of chicks, and the age difference was six weeks. The size difference was much too great to place them together in a brooder, but I partitioned the brooder with some plastic netting, and that way they all could be together safely without any of the tiny ones getting bullied or hurt. It worked out great.

5. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I only have 1 heat lamp and even though I think my 1 5week old would be ok. When I separated her, she got very sad and lonely. Truly she was so pathetic. Poor baby. So I put her in with the now 3 day olds and watched very carefully. It was amazing. She is just like a little mother to them. [​IMG]
    Not that she had a choice haha. They ran right over underneath her. Haha
    Thanks so much for the input.

6. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok I will stop now haha they are just so stinkin cute and my first ones ever. Haha

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Loners love it when they get friends/company.

8. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

That is pretty much what my silkies did. Even the boy, who was about 3 months older than them was like a father. Maybe that is just silkies?

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No! Please don't stop! Keep the photos coming! Keep this thread updated. We would all love keeping up with their progress.

Your 5-week old is not very far along, not much on her little hide in the way of feathering out. She's still very much a baby, herself, and all of them are so very, very cute!

It's so fortunate she doesn't feel the need to bully them. That, sadly, has been my experience with such age differences.

1 person likes this.
  10. smcdermott

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Found a local lady here on BYC. Was blown away :)-( when I got there. I felt more like I was on a rescue mission. She "said" that the now 5 week old was like 2 weeks at the time. But to be honest she could be ANY age. There were soooooo many cages with all different sizes. She had silkies, ducks and quail. 2 brooders with tons hatching constantly. Outside there were probably 250 birds in all and not in great conditions. I felt really bad because I think it was a hobby that got out of hand.
    Anywho the entertainment at our house last night was giving them a few meal worms for the first time ever and it was like Chicken football. Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by