blending the family- help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs. Feathers, May 22, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I have three 6 week old australorps (1 pullet and 2 boys) and 10 - 2 week old chicks (australorp & EE`s). The 6 weekers are in the coop with their light still because it is still a bit cool here at night. We have a brooder section in the coop for the little guys to move into today. I am wondering about bringing the whole clan together....when should we put them together and the process for doing so. My 6 weekers are lovely gentle birds ....but then again I am not a chicken and they are the same size. Thanks ahead for your suggestions.

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    have they met before?

3. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    They have not met...the 2 week olds will be transferring from the `nursery`(aka the portable brooder in the spare bedroom where we can play with them all the time) into the brooder in the coop today. They will not be at ground level as our brooder is raised so won`t have the opportunity to be face to face with the bigger guys. I am hoping to get them together, since we have a light in there anyways....so they have more space to play (the brooder is a decent size mind you) and because they will be together eventually. Just not sure if the age gap is to big and we are fairly new to all of this. Thanks

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    that should be ok, here soon you should get them out all together so they can meet one another and play and what have y'a
    the sooner, the better

5. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    We took the plunge today and they settled in just fine together. It was pretty funny watching a little 2 week old probable roo challenging our 6 week old roo. The big guy was very patient. We put the little guys in the brooder to sleep though. Not quite sure about leaving them all in the big coop together at night but we will put them together during the day.

6. PaintedDreams

PaintedDreams Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Southern TN
    I'm glad you asked this question because I have been contemplating putting my 1 week old chicks in with my 3 week olds. Right now I have the little ones in with a hen, but would kind of like to move them to the "nursery" where we can actually get our hands on them (if you know what I mean). I tried to introduce the older chicks to the hen, but she just pecked her on the head. I was hoping to blend them to make introduction to the flock a little easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by