Blessings of a broody, stubborn hen !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmaddie's mom, Sep 5, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

9 blessings to be exact... 3 black, 3 yellow and 3 golden! [​IMG]
    These will be the last of my favorite roo , Miracle's babies as he was taken by a predator about 3 weeks ago. [​IMG]
    I didn't have much hope for this new broody/mom... she had tried earlier in the summer and had not stayed on the eggs consistantly enough to hatch them... we waited a week over the allotted time and ... nothing. [​IMG] I took the eggs away and she was ok for a couple of days and then one day I found her on 5 eggs [​IMG] and the next day on 4 more [​IMG] (I'm pretty sure this was a group effort! [​IMG] ) Work was hectic and life was busy and I didn't jot down when the eggs were to hatch... she seemed to have been sitting forever. [​IMG] We leave for a trip next week and I was going to let her stay on them until just before we left. [​IMG]
    I came home from work today to find several little faces peaking out from this girl... only to discover that ALL had hatched and everyone is perfect AND she is being a WONDERFUL mom! [​IMG] NINE of Miracle's beautiful babies! [​IMG]
    I only name my favorite most exceptional birds... I think this girl deserves a name... help me name her. She is a tiny, two-tone golden mixed-breed banty... we are open to suggestions! Thanks! [​IMG]
    diana

2. bigj

bigj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Wellborn
    Post a pic or two if your able. Im glad you got some babies from your rooster. I lost my rooster "Betty" to a fox a while back and have been trying to find a suitable replacement. I knew he was special but I had no idea HOW special untill I started looking for another one like him. He was energetic, friendly, kind and an alert protector. from the location of the feathers of the one other bird that was attacked (she recovered) in relation to the scratching in the leaves where the flock was rootin for bugs it appears that the hen was the first attacked but Betty ended up taking her place. He was a good bird and I wish I had gotten some babies from him. You have been blessed! Hope we can help you find a name for your special lady.

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Oh my that is soOOOooo COOL!! I love that... I am very happy for you and all nine of your babies. Congrats. I can't wait to see a picture of them.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have decided on "Amber" for her name... because of her coloration and because she is preserving Miracle's genetic line... think Jurassic Park. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by