Blessings to Mary Louise....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DDRanch, Jul 5, 2008.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am losing one of my sweetest and oldest girls, a Buff Orphington, who will probably not make it through the day. Even though I have been expecting this, it is still a sad day for me and the rest of the girls. You get so attached don't you? I was able to extend her life some 6 months but her time is here and I have isolated her in my shed and made her as comfortable as possible. Her name is Mary Louise.

The shed door is open and the other chickens have been in and out with quiet visits throughout the morning. I know this sounds crazy, but Mary Catherine (her best friend and the one in my avatar) has plunked herself down in front of Mary Louise's crate and refuses to leave her side. I have 5 older girls....all of them hanging close by. The pullets come in and just look clucking softly. Today, no one is loudly announcing their egg laying.

Do chickens know when the end is near? I think so. As my husband has reminded me, she has had an extraordinary life, with great care and love, good food and free range activity. She has been well pampered and well loved and kept safe from predators. I will miss her.

Blessings to you Mary Louise and a thank you for your many wonderful eggs and your kind leadership with the new babies last fall. You have been a joy to know.

Anne and the girls....

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Awwwww.... :aww Sorry you have to go through this, but I am so glad you were able to put her somewhere comfortable where her friends could visit.

((((((HUGS))))))

Shelly

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. I know what it's like to watch a sweet hen dwindle away. (((hugs)))

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sounds like she will have a peaceful end, surrounded by her friends. And yes, I think chickens know. At least they know there's something wrong. When our Red dislocated her hip we found her under the blackberry bushes with her best hen friend snuggled beside her. When my Whitey roo lost his sister after 8 years, we found him huddled beside her body on the barn floor, she had fallen from her roost. It was touching and heartbreaking. And when he was killed himself, the rest of the flock was very quiet and disoriented for several days. I feel for you. Mary Louise will find many friends on the other side of the rainbow bridge. God bless.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'm so very sorry...Rest in Peace, Mary Louise...you have been well-loved and a blessing to others. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Your words are very sweet. I enjoyed reading about your Mary Louise, even though it is a sad situation. I too just lost my favorite hen on Tues. so I know what you're going through. I brought her in the house and put her in a dog crate. I knew she wouldn't make it and took her out to hold her one last time. I held her in my lap for about 20min. then put her back in the crate. In about 5 min. after that, she died. I've been crying ever since. I miss her tremendously. I even seriously considered having her cremated. I decided to just bury her beside one of my others that passed. So, know that you are not alone. If I could personally come to your house, we could cry on each others shoulder. Big hugs from afar. [​IMG]

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Thank you all for your support and hugs from all over. I know BYC folks know exactly what I am feeling. I am glad that I have this site.

Chickeroo..... yes we could cry together. I hope your sadness will lessen in time. Sounds like your favorite hen had a wonderful life too.

I buried my dear Mary Louise this afternoon. The rest of the flock is quite "off" and Mary Catherine is just kinda wandering around, so while usually out free ranging, while I am home, I have penned them up until later this afternoon. They didn't seem to mind.

Thank you again everyone.
    Anne

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] She was very well-loved, I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by