Blind 9 week duck, I'm in a little over my head.

Starks

Hatching
Oct 27, 2015
There was this duck that was going to be put down at a friend's farm because it was blind and the other ducks were starting to attack him. Couldn't let that happen, and so now I'm a proud father of an adorable Duck.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I've had a dog before, this is nothing like that obviously. Currently, the little guys routine consists of hanging out in an enclosure (5ftx5ft) in my garage. He is plenty warm in there and I try to get him in the bathtub when I have time at night, usually 4 nights a week for an hour or two. I have a duck feed (not sure what, came with him) that he likes but I'm a little concerned that's not the most nutritionally sound option. I know which kinds of foods they eat/like and would be able to cook/prepare actual food for him but I don't know the proportions of what they need despite my research.

My biggest problem is what do I do so that he's not incredibly lonely. I give him as much stimulation as possible but I know it's not enough. The other looming problem is how do I handle poop and cleanup? I could put him out in my yard and make a predator safe/warm house but I honestly think he would prefer to hang out inside with me.

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated....I just don't want the little guy to be unhappy.

If you have not had a chance to reach Bill Volkart, the Meep story explains that things that make a gentle noise are helpful to a blind duck - so perhaps some kind of little music player above the food and water to help the little one find it.

Back
Top Bottom