Blind baby turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ellie, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I posted pictures of the 10 babies that the turkey who lives next door had in my front lawn. I wondered and now it is confirmed that one baby is blind in one eye if not both. She has to call this one loudly but it does come to her.

My question is this: If I took it and put it with my 14 chickens would it be better off? Would my chickens hurt it? Is it better with it's mom?

I have no reason to keep a turkey. I would never eat it. I just hate to see anything suffer.

Maybe I should just tell my neighbor to come and get them. I told him once, that they were here and he said he would come get them but didn't yet.

Anyway, I would like your advice and thoughts. I put feed and water out for them.

Ellie

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If it is blind in one eye and is not ill, it will prob. be just fine. If it is both eyes affected it would have a hard time and easily fall into danger. I would not put it in with your chickens, but if you were to take a sibling w/it and keep them together it would be better for it. Chickens might bully it and injer it more until it gets bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by