Blind Chick/Cataracts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickNanny13, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I raise baby chicks for a breeder, she hatches them & I raise them until they're about 1 1/2 - 2 months old. I'm raising 20 chicks (Silkies, Seramas & OEGB) at the time, they're 3wks today & in plastic bins in the house under light. When they were about a week, heard screeching & when I went to check this one had it's wing in it's beak running around. I removed the wing from it's beak, thought it funny, the others just stood around watching while this was happening. Another time I found it on its back "sleeping", eyes shut & the others just standing around. I put it upright, it was fine. Have noticed it pecking at the air above it's head like it's catching bugs although there are none. When I feed the others treats, it doesn't come, just stays in place. I've seen it "stumble" a few times, weak on it's feet. I've seen it eating with the rest from the feeder but never seen it scratch on the floor, it's crop is full but I've never seen it drink water.

Today I looked in it's eyes, looked fine but then I got flashlight & looked again. I saw not a film but like a sliver across the center of it's eye, it's left more than the right. Called the breeder, she says "it happens" that it's probably hearing & following the others to eat & drink but it will probably be a "special needs" project (maybe I'd be interested).

I've read past threads of how other have managed, I'm thinking it will do fine with the other but no idea what the breeder intends to do. Need input....If I were to keep it, it would be alone unless breeder lets me keep another. I would keep it in the plastic bin in the house, water & feeder to be kept in the same area, would it be ok alone? I'm hoping the breeder takes it & keep with the others but she just may not want to nor have the time. What can I do to help this chick survive alone?

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I hope you will keep it. I suspect most breeds will 'cull' a bird like this as they can't sell it and cant breed from it.

I have a blind bantam hen. He did the same things.....like pecking at the air as if snapping at insects. She could see shadows and would follow my about pressed to my foot. If I stood still she would climb onto my foot and sit down! She loved to be petted and carried about also. If I was not about she would follow the rooster about, by burying her head in his long tail feathers. He was very good looking out for her.

If she got left behind when they were free ranging she would stand sill and cry out. He would come running to her side to collect her again.

She lived 5 years, very happy and healthy, the suddenly died one day for no apparent reason. I was very upset........she was a special pet and very much loved.

She found the food and water as they were in huge bright red containers and always in the same place.

I think a life in a plastic bin would not be the best life for your chicken as an adult. Also living alone would not be good for her, unless you are at home most of the day to pet and give her attention.

Could you build a small run / shelter in your yard and keep her and a friend? 2 birds don't need more space than one.

It would be nice if you put a photo of her on here. And a close up of her eyes, in case it is a treatable disease someone might recognise.

My hens eyes were clear and appeared normal, except the black pupils in the middle were always massive.

3. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Will post pictures later today, not sure I can get a good one of her/his eye, it's tiny & the "sliver speck" is so tiny. She's a "micro" Serama, there's 6 of them which are separated from the others (14). The idea of keeping her in a plastic bin was with the idea of keeping her in the house & under watch since I'm home most of the time but I know a buddy would be a big help. I have two "indoor" coops (Hubby enclosed work tables for me in the patio) she/he could stay in the smaller one with a friend but it's all up to the breeder. Last night was watching the chicks (they're in a bin in my living room), have seen her eating but never drinking, I did last night so I'm relieved about that.

4. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Was not able to get a good, clear picture of it's eyes, reflection of the flash/light. Today I saw her "scratching" on the floor for the first time, still grabs in the air when I'm feeding treats. I try to get it in front of her but we haven't made the connection yet. This batch will be 4wks on the 21st, these "micros" are half the size of the others hatched at the same time.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They are so cute! She looks very healthy and bright.

I hope you get to keep her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by