Blind chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jstlitlome, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    This gold crested Polish chick hatched at 9:30 last night. She appeared to have a red spot where her yolk sack is absorbed, her feathers are not fluffy, and now, 16 hours later her eyes are still not open. She is tiny. I think these might be bantam although the Craigslist add did not say so, but I should have assumed from the egg size. I guess I didn't know Polish came in a bantam variety.
    Anyway, she seems to be holding her own, what should I do? She's still in the incubator. I have pulled the others out that hatched last night into the brooder but thought she could use the humidity a bit longer. I didn't know if she was just underdeveloped if she would continue development after birth and maybe she still has hope to open her eyes?

Would you cull her? This is my first hatch. I don't want to do that. But will do whatever is right.

Leslie

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I would suggest to take a wet warm q-tip and clean her eyes, sometimes they can get stuck during hatch. Usually when paired with a rough healing "belly button" its a humidity or heat issue in the incubator, we've had the same 2 issues ourselves but both chicks did fine after some first day's TLC! Good Luck!

3. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you! I did use a warm wet washcloth and after coaxing to drink a little she opened her eyes and perked right up! Little one is doing great and is super friendly. Even better, my DH helped me out and now he is in love with the tiny thing. This one will probably stick around even if it's a rooster!

4. Maikan

Maikan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Ireland
    Good to hear your chicks ok.

5. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Thanks she is doing so great! She's a runty tiny thing but has lots of spunk! DH named her sweet pea. Lol

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    What a cute name, is she still doing okay?

7. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

8. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri

She is wonderful! Only still only half the size of my other polish. She's holding her own with my giant welsummers. She is also very very friendly. I think she will be a very special one, hen, or roo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh how adorable owo I need more babies :D

10. mmmmakayla

mmmmakayla New Egg

Feb 26, 2016
    We bought chicks from tractor supply and ones eyes aren't open what do I do ? I put her in a cage by herself because the other chicks were pecking her but how do I help her eat and drink?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by