1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I think one of my two day old Polish chicks is blind. It will cry all the time unless it's either tucked in the corner of the brooder, snuggled up to another chick, in the food bowl, or in my hands.It finds the water fine, not sure if it's found the food bowl to eat out of, I'm assuming it has since it sleeps in there sometimes. Is it even possible to keep a blind chicken? Is it even humane to keep a blind chicken? I am in love with this little one, but I don't want to be selfish if it would be cruel to keep it alive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

2. micaheart

micaheart Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    How do you know it is blind? Are the eyes open or shut? If they are shut, try some warm compresses and this might help. It helped a friend of mine.
    Any signs of infection?

Oh and I have a read a couple of stories of blind chickens that went on to have a long and happy life. I had a chick I thought was blind so I did a bunch of research. Just keep them in a safe environment and make sure that you keep food and water in the same place all the time. They have a good sense of smell.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    It's eyes are open. It feels it's way with it's beak. It seeks out the warmth of the other chicks or the safety of a solid object and stops peeping loudly when it's tucked into a corner between the food bowl and the side of the brooder wall. I checked it's eyes with a bright flashlight and the pupils do not dilate. I was a Vet Tech for many years and it acts like a blind animal.
    I will keep the food and water in one place, grwat suggestion, thank you. [​IMG]

4. dogo

dogo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Maybe this will help you ? I had a hen and this rooster hit her during feeding. He has real sharp spurs and unfortunatley was hit in the head. It blinded her in both eyes. I was sick over this to say the least. I tried every way you could think of trying to feed her. I knew she would died a slow death (starving ) if she didn't have food. This was my brood hen she was at least 7 or 8 years old . I had to come up with away to feed her or put her away. And then I thought that tis was an old hen . Been around a while and like you and me in away knowing things when you touch it. Instead of force feeding her, which she would fight you thinking you were trying to hurt her. I bought a lot of feed and stored it in a barrel. I picked her up and sit her in the barrel. Presto I hit the jack pot this hen as soon as her feet hit the feed she started eating like a starving hen would eat. This was my answer. When her feet was set in a pan of feed or water she would consume the ammount she wanted. I kept this hen a live for 2 or 3 years. I would breed her. By this I mean I would save her eggs and set them. Of course I would breed her to a rooster and one more thing. Always cut the spurs or use a dremel tool to remove the sharp spurs of a rooster. After I bred her I would keep her to her self. I named her Helen Keller. Put they'er feet in feed or water I promise you it will work. A lot of trouble but it was worth it to me. Good luck let me know how you come out ?

5. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Thanks for the info, Dogo. [​IMG] It's funny, none of the other chicks bother it at all. I guess since they were born together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by