1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blind Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hippiehen, Apr 20, 2011.

1. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Hello all!

I was out watching my hen and her seven chicks (hatched saturday) when I noticed one little guy acting very funny. I noticed first he was very sluggish, where the other chicks are zipping around like little crazies. He kept getting left behind, then Mama would chirp and he'd run to her. Then I noticed he crashed into a few things, including the other chicks. I picked up him and he didn't peep or anything, just snuggled against me. [​IMG] His eyes look fine, very dark but kind of unfocused? I poked his beak in the water and he drank and drank but then got turned around and was trying to drink from the dirt. I've been around blind animals and raised a blind calf when I was a kid... pretty sure he's blind.

My question is... what to do? Should I cull him? Will he learn from Mama and the other chicks? She's a first timer but seems to be a wonderful Mom so far. Would it be better to separate him?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    I do the same thing to all my blind chicks.....hatchet and shovel

3. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    I say give him a chance, I don't agree with killing him just because he is or may be blind.....see how it goes...I would look on here cause I remember someone had a blind chicken and I think it was doing well if I remember right

4. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Quote:While I understand that on a working farm.. such things are a fact of life.. that just seems so cruel to me [​IMG]

Hippiehen, I guess it depends on what you're raising them for.. to be treasured pets or to be productive? If you did raise a blind calf in the past, I'm sure you know that this little one will need help for most, if not all, his life. If you have the time to raise him/her, I'm sure he/she will be your most affectionate of the bunch. As to separation.. I'd leave him with mom for now.. but keep an eye on him. If he starts getting picked on, separate and tend him. If you're raising them to be productive, it may be kinder to cull him.

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    He does sound like he's blind. Try throwing a clean piece of cotton ball at his eye without hitting the eye as a test.

6. hippiehen

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Thanks wren I'll try that.

I'd rather not cull him(her)... I'm really getting to be a softie! I'm just worried he won't be able to find water. I would really rather leave him with Mama hen. I have them in a 15 x 7 "broody pen" with another hen and chicks, would it help if I sectioned them off into a smaller pen?

Here's a pic of the little guy, it's the furthest one to the left!

[​IMG]

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    mama would be the best for him! She will put her head down and cluck at food and maybe the water.

8. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Oh you can't cull him, he is precious and he looks well fed so he is eating good

9. hippiehen

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Update!

I've named him/her Cochise it's he's doing ok today - I went out a few times to help him drink. He's still disoriented but can find Mama Hen easy enough, but seemed a little sluggish so I made her a warm gruel of oatmeal and chick starter and that perked her right up! Yesterday he wouldn't peck around for food or anything but today he seems to be getting the hang of it!

He's officially stolen my heart, for sure! [​IMG]

My problem now is I work from 6 to 4 tomorrow so I think I'm going to have to take him with me. I don't think he'll be able to find the water on his own yet!

I'll try and get some more pictures later!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He'll be fine. Leave him with Mama -- if you take him with you then he won't have Mama to learn from. Before you go to work make sure he gets a drink and when you come home make sure he gets a drink. Once he learns where the water is he will be good as anything. Remember, Mama has the means to keep him warm -- that's most crucial in the first few days. Chilled chicks rarely recover.

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by