1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blind Chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenBirdRansom, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JenBirdRansom

JenBirdRansom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    No, I'm not going to cull her ( wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to do that anyhow.). My question is for anyone who had dealt with a blind chickie. Will she eventually learn to eat on her own? And if so, how did you go about that? Poor little thing.

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    There is another thread on here (can't find it but should be easy to find) of a chick born with no eyes who is doing great and is laying eggs now! :)

3. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    Holy cow! I'll have to find it.....

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its just blind,,hehe,, the most valuable and over-used rooster i had was blind. was worth his wieght in gold,, and a few gems ;)
    feed it in same place every day,,,hint : make some wierd noise every time u feed it.. always have water,, mine loved his pool was big drinking cup lol. and even tho i say not feed birds in a dish or tray,, at first feed it on something that will make noise when the food hits. soon you can snatch that out of there and jus drop food on ground, and make that wierd noise of yours,, and the chick will even forage round and scrape ground when it eats.

5. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    I'll try that. So far (it is 9 days old) it doesn't try to eat on its own. Doesn't seem phased when the other chicks eat either. Just stands there peeping. Peeps all the time! I hope its not deaf too. That would be a really raw deal. I'm no giving up though, I'll keep feeding it with a syringe for now.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

put a big ole glob of food at his feet,, then bend him ova and shove his face in it, couple times of that and he will get the hint. the more you do for him now the less and harder it is for him to learn. sounds awful but its really jus helpin it be more of a chicken then jus a foot-stool..lol.

7. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    I had a blind chick, she only lasted 3 days....I would dip her beak every hour or so in water, but never could get her to eat anything. She did the same as your chick, just stood there peeping and never attempted to find the food and water herself. even when I dipped her beak in the water she wouldn't go back for more. I felt sorry for the poor thing, but I guess I was releived when she passed. I wasn't looking forward to fussing over her for who knows how long. I know that sounds mean, but it's the reality of the whole thing. The other 8 chicks are all healthy and doing well

8. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    Well....she died yesterday. It was very sad. At least I tried my best. [​IMG]

9. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure you did everything you could. It just happens sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by