Blind Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crayon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    We just got a shipment of chicks on Tuesday and my daughter just brought me one and said "she doesn't open her eyes" on inspection, it appears her lids are not slit- I can see her eye (dark) behind the very thin membrain.

I have heard that birds who are blind will die- is this true?

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Is this problem with both eyes or just one? I have a pullet who is blind in one eye and she does just fine. I'm not sure how a comepletely blind chicken could survive, they are pretty dependant upon sight.

3. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    It appears to be both eyes.

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Oh, I don't think it will be able to find the feeder or waterer then. I'm sorry but I have to say that I'd put it out of its misery then. I just can't see it getting by without any sight at all. Sorry.

5. Steeler Chick

Steeler Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    I have a blind from birth light brahma that is 10 weeks old. She finds her food fine if you don't move it around. She still has to be re-introduced back into the flock at they pick at her bad. She is extra work but she is soooo sweet.

She will need extra care the rest of her life. So it can be done if you want to make the effort.

I am building her a separate enclosure within my existing coop and run and hope to put her back in once they get use to seeing her awkward movements. If I have to I will keep her separate forever but put one friend in with her.

If you can keep her with the other chicks and they don't pick on her that is best but I did have to feed her with a dropper for a while until she was able to find her food ( which I mixed with water).

So basically without human intervention she would probably wither and die or the others may kill her. You could just watch her closely putting her up to the food and water to make sure she is eating and drinking and not getting picked on.

Good luck and hope this helps you make your decision.

AmyT

6. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Im glad to read this. i have a chick who has not been right since day one. He is a bit "slow". He is 10 days old now. Well, it could be a she, but my luck its a he. It stumbles alot and rarely lays down. I have been feeding and watering it with a dropper thinking it was some sort of deficiency. It is growing and poops just fine. I thought it was a failure to thrive as i never see it eat or drink or peck for that matter. Yesterday I came to the conclusion that it cant see. i put the food in a spoon in front of it and it will peck it now! thats a start right? It is also now trying to peck things on the ground. I have hope. i dont have the heart to cull it especially since it really is trying. the other chicks love it because it doesnt lay down much so they cuddle underneath of it like its their mother.

1 person likes this.
  7. Steeler Chick

Steeler Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    I figure give them a chance. My "Lil One" didn't make it. I did build her a special section outside and she loved it. Until the day she died she was enjoying life. She loved to sit in the sun and hunt and peck. She didn't starve and seemed perfectly fine the night before. Went out the next morning and she had died in her sleep with her head tucked under her wing. I think she must have had other internal issues. But she lived to about 22 weeks old and never suffered.

I am glad you are giving your check a chance. The only issue you may have is the others picking on her. But so far sounds like you aren't. Try to keep them all together and you should be fine. I had to segregate lil one right off the bat because they knew something was wrong with her.

Good Luck and keep me posted.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So saddened to read of your sad losses...... I have had similar experiences, they are worth all of the special attention and love that we can afford them Bless You For Your Loving Concern

9. ms riss

ms riss New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Just got a shipment of meat chicks last week and one of the chicks is exactly like described--thin membrane over her eyes, effectively making her blind. The other chicks were pecking at her, and I've separated her. My husband thought she was sick but when I looked closely I could see she was blind. Not sure she's going to make it though she seems healthy enough. I will wait and see.

10. Realtree4

Realtree4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio

As far as this one goes, I had the same thing happen to a hatchery chick that was shipped to me, although I didn't have a problem with others pecking, I left it alone and the eyes must have opened because now they are 16 weeks old and I couldn't tell you which one that was! The first few day I did lead it to the food and water, gave it nutri-drench and very carefully wiped its eyes with warm water. Then one day, I couldn't pick it out from the crowd :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by