1. happyhippiechik

happyhippiechik Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    I purchased 5 Americaunas from a friend that hatches them. Four of them are active, growing and seem to be just fine. I have one from this group that has not grown a bit. They are currently 2 weeks old. The bigger ones are feathering nicely. This poor little one is not only about 1/2 their size, she just seems to stand with her eyes closed all the time. The only time she runs away from me is when I reach into the brooder and the others scatter. She is eating and drinking, pooping and walking around but I'm concerned about her size. The others are not picking on her but we are keeping a close eye so we can separate her if we need to. I contacted the girl I got them from and all she said is that some are slow growers. Any insight from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sometimes there are chicks that just fail to thrive and are just unthrifty . All you can do is give added vitamins and maybe some scrambled egg to that one...Might dose with Corid for coccidia just incase. She may not make it, they often go downhill at some point...but there are others that are fighters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by