1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blind chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindye, Nov 4, 2013.

1. cindye

cindye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    we bought 3 wyndotte/rhode island red mix chicks. guessing about one month old. two are growing . third chick appears to be blind and is not growing. i read on this sight about a covering on the eye. she has that. looks like a cream colored contact. should i cull this bird. she can eat and drink and is not picked on by the other two.

2. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    If she can eat and drink normally, I wouldn't worry about it. When she's an adult, she'll probably need to stay in a covered run, rather than free range. I have a hen that's blind in one eye, and she gets around easily. She used to free range until I found out she'd been crossing the street to steal the neighbors' cat food. The only problem with a blind hen is that she needs to be kept safe and sound since she can't see predators... or oncoming traffic, lol.

3. cindye

cindye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    thanks cheyen. we'll keep her safe and happy, happy, happy. she really "digs" the turkey starter vs chick starter. hoping she will grow with this mix. have 4 mature rhodes and i mix a little turkey starter in their food. should see the difference in egg size. have 11 coturnix quail and a new baby, three days old and they love it, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by