1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blind Chicken or Illness??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RandiKodiak, Jan 31, 2017.

1. RandiKodiak

RandiKodiak New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    [​IMG]My husband made a joke that he thought one of our chicks was blind earlier today because it seemed like it couldn't find the door and kept running strait into the wall... I know chicks are silly sometimes but came out to check anyway... I was in the run doing since work and this chick made her way into the run with a couple others and then couldn't find her way out. She kept running into the wall and water dish... i picked her up and when I move my hands around her eyes she doesn't seem to flinch... could she be blind or could it be an infection or something? Her eyelids (or whatever they are called) seem bigger in the bottom than the other chickens. It was windy when I tried to get the pic and she kept closing them too...

Then, every night the chickens put themselves to bed in the coop in the roosts and then we go out right at dark and lock them up.

Tonight, I went out to lock them up and only counted 9, so one missing. That's never happened before. I start looking in the run andv under the coop suspecting that it might be the one I checked out earlier but couldn't find her. We have 7 acres but the chickens have only been here a month and haven't ventured more than a 30ft radius around the coop.. I finally found her way far away from where they have ever been.. I was calling her and she came cautiously walking toward me like you do when you are in the dark and can't see.. I put her on the roost and watched her and she literally took a step not realizing she was up and fell off. It is clear she can't see. She's about 16 weeks and we never noticed anything until today.

Could she have been born blind, went bind today, or have some kind of infection or disease?

I put her in a cardboard box in the garage for the night.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I also have this problem too they dont see but the eyes are normal color hope someone helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by