blind chicken video!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by catwalk, Nov 24, 2010.

1. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I don't think she's completely blind, and I don't think her crest has much to do with it. She doesn't lay much, and she's 95% infertile, so considering that she's a super unusual color, I'll bet inbreeding plays a factor. I trimmed her crest after I was done showing her in early summer. She never had any competition, so her entry fee was wasted anyway, and I had noticed that she tends to tilt her head way back. The trimming didn't help, and I noticed the same behaviors. Bananas are like chicken crack at my house, and there's no other reason that she should miss her target so often. I also find her in the middle of the yard by herself, or she's the only one only one still in the pen an hour after I open the door. Luckily, all the new and homeless chicks adopt her as their own, so she's never lonely! Click on the picture to watch the video.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]...that poor girl needs a hug

3. catwalk

May 19, 2009
    Oh, she gets them all the time, believe me!

4. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    [​IMG]

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    She is a lot like my white Silkie. She misses a lot too, but aims much closer. Weird head wobble, but she is fine, odd, but fine.
    Maybe she was pecked on the head one too many times?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Aw poor baby,
    i do not think she is totaly blind because i have a totaly blind hen named "Butter Butt" and the only way can get her to eat anything is to place it in her bowl.

I love my blind girl, she is the only chicken i own that lives in a pen, but she is always surrounded by the other animals as they come to see her and stick their heads threw the kennel cage and eat what she has kicked out of her bowl.

Every day i open her pen and let the other chickens go in and clean her spilt feed up while i am holding her.

She is a very happy hen even if she is blind.

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    One of my BFFs has a blind, mental chicken! Poor things!

8. catwalk

May 19, 2009
    She does much better when she has chicks; she just follows them around. The beige chick in the background adopted her after the Ohio Nationals, where I raffled off her mother and siblings. Phyllis' babies chirp a lot more than other hen's chicks, almost like a role reversal!

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Aww... well it sounds like she's adapted well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by