Blind Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rosypetals, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Rosypetals

Rosypetals Chirping

Jan 11, 2018
    i think my light brown leghorn is blind in one eye. Both eyes look the same, no difference, but when I hold out 1 mealworm, she misses every time. If I hold out a small handful she can get one, but she still has trouble. She is 4 months old. Any other things that it could be? I’m just worried for her. She is also super skidding, even though I held her so much as a chick. She is also at the bottom of the pecking order out of 8 chickens. They have plenty of space, she’s the smallest, but maybe another chicken pecked her eye? Is there any way to fix this? I don’t have access to any pictures of her right now. Anything helps, thanks!

2. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Please post a picture of the eye so we can see. Both please

3. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    If you think she is blind slowly bring your finger/hand to her eye and see how she reacts. Don't move too quickly as she can feel the wind. Do this to both of the eyes

4. Rosypetals

Rosypetals Chirping

Jan 11, 2018
    I’ll get a picture as fast as I can, and I did this to both eyes, and she kind of flinched in both, 1 more than the other. No matter what position she’s in she always knows what’s going on and it confuses me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: