Blind Chicken?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nomoq, Oct 28, 2011.

1. nomoq

nomoq Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Elk Grove CA
    I think I may have a blind ( or at least visually impared )chicken.....

I am a first time chicken guy, I got the girls from a feed store locally about five months ago. After about two weeks, it was clear that one was a runt. She grew much more slowly than the rest, but did manage to grow. She now has finally cought up to the rest in size.
    Her eyes do appear normal when I compare them to the other chickens....

Here are the odd things I have noticed about her:
    She has no reaction to visual stimuli..I can quickly motion at her face with my hand, and get zero reaction. This same motion at any other chicken gets a flinch response. She doesn't react at all.
    She also never will leave the run to scratch in the garden.
    I can hold crickets and meal worms in front of her and she just sits there, no reaction...BUT..If I hold a bowl of them in front of her and push her beak into it, she will eat like crazy.
    Finally...She has a sort of parkinsins type of shake to her.

Beyond this odd stuff, ahe seems to do okay. The other girls bont bother her, and she does seem to eat and drink enough to get by.
    Any thoughts...

Confused..
    Thanks everyone....Jim

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I had a blind chicken and as long as she had a buddy who showed her where the water and food was she was fine. Once her buddy died she deteriorated and I put her down [​IMG]

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i have a blind girl, but she's a house bird and she lives primarly in a smallish approx. 1 1/2 X 3 1/2 foot rabbit cage so she knows where everything is in it. i hope someone chimes in with some more information if you don't want to go the route i took with mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by