blind cross beak chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CANDLE98, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Well i hatched some chicks out 10 days ago and my blind cross beak chick is still alive. Do you think that he is going to make it? I don't mind having him as long as he is going to live. He seems to peck the chick start fine and he finds the water. It is really funny watching him because he scratches backwards and pecks the bottom of the brooder. he is a little smaller than the other ones, but he also hatched from a small egg.

Was there something that I did wrong that made him have a defect or was it genetic? thanks!

Jessica

2. TheBuff

TheBuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    S.E. IOWA
    The two main causes of cripples,and malpostitions are Tempurature too high, too low moisture. If anymore are born that way keep an eye on the temp, moisture. Being a small eye could have genetic. not evey egg is perfect in any forms of life.........

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Huh.... you know there is another guy in idaho that swears by incubating days 1-18 at 60% hum i wonder if that is what i have to do too. I had 6 eggs that never hatched and i had 6 others that hatched fine. but two of them did have dried up membrane stuck to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by