Blind duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jruhle, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    An owl was making hits on my ducks at night so I locked the survivors up in a chainlink kennel and the owl managed to attack one through the chainlink and blind it completely. I was going to kill it but it started acting like it felt better. Unfortunately its lost a lot of weight so I'm afraid I'll have to end its suffering. I hate having to do this, I haven't killed any of my ducks yet, but am planning on raising some for meat. I guess this will be practice for the future.

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I keep my ducks in a dog kennel also; however, I lined it with chicken wire to make it a bit safer. If you decide to keep the duck alive it might need some antibiotics. You can get some for poultry at Rural King. You might have to hand feed it treats like peas or cat food to get it to eat. Keep food and water dish in the same place. Good luck I found a blinded infected cat about a year ago. It is fine now.

3. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    They can live normal lives being blind it is amazing how they will adapt to their new environment.

4. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I checked on the duck the next day and she ran out and ate some greens and looked at me with an eye!! The swelling went down and she can see fine out of one eye and has made a complete recovery! I was so happy for her, she is gaining weight and being normal again. I'll never underestimate their toughness again.

5. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    That is great news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by