Blind Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlecollier, Apr 21, 2018.

1. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    A friend of ours recently bought two ducklings from a woman in town. She had trouble with one of them (seemed sick and weak) and “exchanged” the duckling for a new one.

The new duckling is acting odd - Doesn’t run away from hands and seems to be frantically searching for food/water with no luck. She sent me this video as an example of her behavior.

Could the duckling be blind or is it a neurological problem? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

What is she feeding and is she supplementing with any type of niacin. Is the lil one able to eat and drink is it interacting with the other duckling at all?

sourland likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

It's having a seizure and sadly I would Cull it..
    Sorry...

4. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    The duckling has been housed with the healthy one and she says they’re interacting.

She is feeding a food called Bar Ale and giving them brewers yeast. Is that the correct yeast for a niacin supplement? Duckling is eating and drinking water without a problem.

Thank you so much for your quick response @Miss Lydia !

5. Miss Lydia

Please let us know what you are feeding the lil duckling and other info if you can before culling Sometimes they can have a niacin def that will display with neurological issues as well as not being able to walk right. The rec does of Brewers yeast is 1 Tab per cup of feed. But in this ducklings case I would go with liquid B complex
    @CayugaJana can give the specifics.

CayugaJana, casportpony and sourland like this.
  6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've never heard of Bar Ale before, is that a brand of poultry food?

Edit: Ah yes I see that it is: http://baraleinc.com/index.php/products/poultry

Is she feeding the chick starter feed? Or the flock crumble? Or it looks like they have a specific duck feed too.

7. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    I think it’s local @Pyxis - I asked her to take a photo of the bag and nutritional information. I’ll post when I have the info!

8. Miss Lydia

[​IMG]

This one comes from TSC

[​IMG]

This one local Walmart or hometown pharmacy may have it.

9. littlecollier

littlecollier Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    46615278-4D8E-41A8-826D-2069934490F1.jpeg BF23550D-F46B-43FC-8688-C1F7DFB0234D.jpeg Here’s what she has for food.

Could this be the problem? I’ve read protein should be 19-21%?

casportpony likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Almost makes me think it's a layer with calcium carbonate in it? But I don't see it on the bag.

onaharley, Pyxis and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: