Blind frizzle chick

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chloesmama, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Chloesmama

Chloesmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Let me start by saying we want to keep her and take care of her the best we can. We got a chick about 2 weeks ago, she is a frizzle mix. She doesn't seem to be super healthy and robust.... She doesn't like to walk around much and is very sedentary. She also seems blind, her eyes look much different than the other silkie mix we got the same day from the same breeder. Anyways, what are some long term options? I have the two silkies together in the garage with a heat lamp still (fall babies, so at least 4 months old). Frizzle (Roxie) seems to get cold easily. I am worried that the big hens will just kill her if I put her in the coop. The other one (sunny) seems to be ready for more space. Ideas? I was thinking of getting a small moveable coop, but not sure it is worth it. [​IMG]

2. Chloesmama

Mar 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. Chloesmama

Mar 30, 2014
    This is Sunny[​IMG]

4. Chloesmama

Mar 30, 2014
    No one has any suggestions? I was thinking of getting her a bunny friend? Don't know if it would be healthy for both of them?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If they get along I would keep them together. A rabbit isn't a good idea. I have some older roosters who are going blind, they do okay. You can also keep her penned separately within the others coop or run so she has some company. There's obviously something wrong with her, so you will need to take some extra care with her. I do wonder if she possibly has something like Mareks which is causing her symptoms though, time will tell.

6. Chloesmama

Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks! We are going to build a small coop for the bantams. I am wondering about the winter though... Roxy shivers all the time when she is outside. I don't want to have an indoor winter chicken.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Shivering isn't always about being cold, sometimes it's from fear. She will hopefully acclimate better as the year goes on and she matures. My frizzled have no troubles staying warm, but they aren't blind either. Worse case scenario you will need to use a wall heat plate for her. I would just see how it goes and see if she makes it through the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by