Blind Goose With Watery Eyes

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GracieNut, Jul 9, 2011.

1. GracieNut

GracieNut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    OK, I have a goose that is blind, who went to live somewhere else for a few days (eyes were fine when he left) and when I got him back his eyes looked like this (see pics), very watery, he doesn't seem to want to open them, he's scratching at them also. Both eyes look just like this. The place where he went they had ducks, and horses and goats (all of which do NOT reside with me) is it possible he caught something from them? He has been washing his face fine, has a deep bucket of water available at all times, but I'm not positive that he was able to find his water very easily at the other place (again, he is blind). Is there anything I can do? Does anyone know what would cause this? Advice, please? He's miserable!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Try reading this thread - maybe it will help - hopefully someone here has experience with this. We used the Terramycin gel on my chicken's eyes when they did that - got it at feed store.....

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7983882&view=previous

He's definitely caught something going through that nightmare ordeal.... what a shame.... Read the entire post, maybe the saline wash is the answer - he probably got infection from other place and hasn't been able to clean his eyes/etc. or anything - he is miserable for sure.

The saline solution you can rinse his eyes and wipe them with to help clean it (1 teaspoon salt mixed thoroughly in 1 cup warm water until disolved completely) - use clean soft washcloth to wipe and rinse eyes with the solution as best you can. MAKE SURE HE HAS DEEP BUCKET TO RINSE HIS EYES, BLOW HIS NOWS AND COMPLETELY DUNK HIS HEAD INTO -- YOU MIGHT WANT TO PUT A LITTLE SALINE INTO THAT WATER FOR AN HOUR OR SO THAT HE CAN WASH HIMSELF WITH IT..... THEN CHANGE WATER BACK TO FRESH.

Don't give up on him... he didn't cause this himself. Changing his environment created more work instead of less unfortunately.... it will fix if you stay at it.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    He probably couldn't find the water easily at the other place, and has gotten either just irritation or a minor infection. Should clear right up with treatment.

I've been following your other thread. Don't beat yourself up about this, you had the best intentions all along. It will all work out in the end, I'm sure of it.

4. GracieNut

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    They already seem to be clearing up. I'm thinking he was having trouble finding his water at the other place, like you said, I think he'll be OK, but I will definitely keep an eye on him.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:I read your goose's story on the other thread and was wondering if he had perked up since you brought him home?

6. GracieNut

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    Oh yes, he's doing great. Went straight to the food and water, and then walked right over to the doorway of the indoor part of the goose house and walked right in, he knew exactly where he was, he was chatting with the other geese, he was very calm. He could hear our rooster crowing, and our dogs barking, and I think he knew instantly that he was home.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:This is the sweetest story, I am so glad he's doing well and his eyes are clearing up.

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm so glad he's doing better! I've been following both threads...you did the right thing. Very nice update - keep us posted.

Joni

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by