Blind? Half blind?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KarateHorse, Dec 28, 2016.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    We got 4 new Americana chicks all supposed to be hens. When I set them in the brooder I set one in the corner where the heat lamp is. We left for a while maybe an hour or hour and a half. When we came back I noticed that the same chick was still in the same corner. I figured she was just enjoying the heat. After about thirty minutes I came back and she was still standing there. I watched her and found that she only stands there with her eyes closed. She only opens them for a second then closes them again and continues to stand there. When she opens her eyes and sees the food she pecks at it and misses. It's like she can see but still can't see. Is she blind? Maybe half blind? All the other chicks all still kind of scared of us so when you reach your hand in all the chicks run except her she doesn't even notice.

2. Anne4596

Anne4596 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    It sounds like you have a weak chick on your hands. It would be best to separate it from the others, because if it weakens the others will pick on it and make it worse. I suggest using wire mesh to block off a small portion of the brooder and put the chick in there with its own food and water. Sickness could also be making the chick blind, so you may want to put it in a separate brooder. If the chick becomes weaker, try syringe feeding it liquid poultry nutrition and some Gatorade(electrolytes). If the chick is permanently blind, it may or may not survive. If blindness is the only issue, it has a good chance of survival. I have heard of a blind chicken who lives a wonderful life, named Mumbles. Good luck!!!!

3. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Thanks so far the others have been pecking her a little not much. If she continues to get weaker how are we going to syringe feed her? She is only a couple days old we don't have a syringe that small. Do feed stores have them?

4. Anne4596

Anne4596 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    I doubt a feed store will carry a syringe her size, but nonetheless it wouldn't hurt to look for one. You could also try filling a spoon with the liquid and putting it up to her beak and putting her beak in it. This might encourage her to eat/drink. Using a spoon will probably work better than just dipping her beak in the liquid.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  5. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    We had a duck with wry neck that we had to feed with a syringe but the duck was a lot bigger then a little chick. I'm separating her and going to try to get her to eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by