Blind hen - how to take care of her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puIIets, Sep 17, 2016.

1. puIIets

puIIets Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    My three and a half years old black Australorpe hen Hazel somehow became blind after recovering from being anemic (due to a mite infestation). We're quite confused on how this happened - when she was anemic and had her eyes closed, I would wash them with cool tea (I did oregano and mint) and mild salt water as suggested, but I'm wondering if that may have caused it. She's much better now, with all her colour back in her comb and lots of energy. She eats and drinks great and has normal poop. We keep her in the greenhouse/sunroom at night, and if it's nice out we put her in a pen outside. We're planning on making a separate spot in the coop for her, but with access to the same run. I was wondering if any has any suggestions for her to get used to her spaces and how to care for, and if possible (though I doubt it) if there's any cures for her eyes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Blind chickens can get around surprisingly well. I own several half blind birds and have a friend with a completely blind one. All of them live and interact with the flocks normally. It's important to keep the environment stable. Blind birds navigate by memory, so any time objects are moved around, they will have trouble getting around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by