Blind hen with bluish-white pupil

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by InsaneBreeder, Jan 18, 2012.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I have a three-year-old hen who has gone totally blind in one eye, and is going blind in the other. Pictured below is the blind eye, and I am wondering why it is blue/white, and if there is any way I can prevent the other eye from going totally blind (the other eye has just a little bit of blue). The blue/white color is restricted entirely to the pupil and seems to be "inside" it, almost as if the pupil has been destroyed or taken over by something. Is there anything I can do? I don't know if she'll be able to function if she can't see.

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She might have ocular marek's. You can use the search box to read up on it or google "ocular marek's."
    [​IMG]

3. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Hm, I did see that picture posted on another thread when I was doing research before I made this one, but that doesn't seem to resemble what she has, and her pupil is not at all misshapen and the rest of the eye is fine. Still, I will keep ocular marek's in mind unless I can rule it out. Thanks for your input :)

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you noticed her scratching at her eyes alot? If so, it could possibly be eyeworm. If not, it might be a genetic issue.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    You know, I'm not really sure if she's been scratching or not. I don't believe I've seen her do it, but I'll make a note to observe her tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by