Blind hen with bluish-white pupil

InsaneBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Kurtistown, Hawaii
I have a three-year-old hen who has gone totally blind in one eye, and is going blind in the other. Pictured below is the blind eye, and I am wondering why it is blue/white, and if there is any way I can prevent the other eye from going totally blind (the other eye has just a little bit of blue). The blue/white color is restricted entirely to the pupil and seems to be "inside" it, almost as if the pupil has been destroyed or taken over by something. Is there anything I can do? I don't know if she'll be able to function if she can't see.

InsaneBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Kurtistown, Hawaii
Hm, I did see that picture posted on another thread when I was doing research before I made this one, but that doesn't seem to resemble what she has, and her pupil is not at all misshapen and the rest of the eye is fine. Still, I will keep ocular marek's in mind unless I can rule it out. Thanks for your input :)

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Hm, I did see that picture posted on another thread when I was doing research before I made this one, but that doesn't seem to resemble what she has, and her pupil is not at all misshapen and the rest of the eye is fine. Still, I will keep ocular marek's in mind unless I can rule it out. Thanks for your input :)

Have you noticed her scratching at her eyes alot? If so, it could possibly be eyeworm. If not, it might be a genetic issue.

Last edited:

Top Bottom