Blind hen won't eat!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelbel313, Jun 10, 2016.

1. kelbel313

kelbel313 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2013
    I have a 3yr old Rhode Island Red who recently went blind about a month ago then started having trouble walking. The vet said it sounded like a vitamin b deficiency and I should give her liquid baby vitamins which I did and her ability to walk has improved, but as of a few days ago she is completely uninterested in food. She won't even eat meal worms probably bc she can't see them. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you added any new birds in recent months? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? What do her eyes look like? Could you get a closeup picture of each eye? Do her pupils look cloudy, and is the eye color? Vitamin E or A deficiency can cause eye problems. Mareks disease, eye infections, cataracts, and injuries can also cause blindness.
    I would put her usual food in some water, and add a little plain yogurt, then show her where it is. She may need to be placed in a pen or crate just to get plenty to eat a couple of times a day.

3. kelbel313

kelbel313 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2013
    She is in a crate inside. Haven't gotten any new birds and idk if she was vaccinated before I got her as a chick. Her eyes look normal except for a dark fleck on her iris.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by