Blind in one eye

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shawnellabella, Nov 17, 2013.

1. shawnellabella

shawnellabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    So I have a hen who is partially blind in one eye, and I suspect it was from being pecked because only the pupil is blue? She's really sweet and low on the pecking order but my rooster is mean to her too? Will he ever treat her like he would the other hens or will he keep being rude and making her more of an outcast with the rest of the flock?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience once a rooster dislikes a hen the behavior rarely improves. As a matter of fact it sometimes escalates to flogging and killing. Such roosters are candidates for the crock pot. As long as he is not causing physical injury to the hen I would be inclined to just wait things out and see what happens.

3. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I had a RIR roo tear up my laying BCM hen once, I locked her up so she could heal. 2 days later I let her back into the run. Within 30 sec. he tore her up again. This time I locked him up for 2 days, if this didn't work he was heading for the pot... After two days in lock up I let him out, now he doesn't even look in her direction anymore...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by