Blind Indian Runner Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fleecy718, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Fleecy718

Fleecy718 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Hi, in November, I purchased a drake from what I label as a neglective home. He is mostly blind and could be fully, I can't tell. We've been trying to socialize him as much as we can, but he is so terrified of us. He usually gets so scared that he throws up. We have a 2 section coop (one closed area and one open area; both enclosed and connected) and the 4 girls are always out in the open air and my drake is in the far corner in the closed coop. We bought him for fertilizing eggs and to have a nice well rounded flock. But my females are really close knit so they all pick on him (except for one).

I was wondering if there's anything I can do.

And also, will he mate with my females? (I also don't know how old he is.)

Last, I live in southeastern Virginia. If there's anyone who knows how to care for a specialneeds duck, please let me know. It hurts me to see him alone all the time. He's so depressed and all I wanna do is help him.

Thank you so much,
    Kali

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you give him some time with the one that doesn't pick on him just to give him a chance to get use to his surroundings, Then gradually reintroduce him and this duck to the other girls. He is going to need much more time to get acclimated to his new home since he is site impaired. Make sure to keep everything the same in his world, feed bowls, buckets pools. and just try to spend as much time as you can just being near but not touching him, offering treats and being gentle in talking to him. Hopefully he'll begin to relax soon. But being picked on is stressful so i would for sure get him away from the ducks who are picking on him, once he begins to feel at home and secure he'll start to mate your girls.

3. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Come up with a call for when you feed him so that he learns to associate it with good things. Once he does that, use it when you scare him by mistake or introduce him to new things. I found that it really helped with my ducks (got them to do a lot more more things) and since your's is blind he'll be relying on sound. Hope it goes well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by