Blind or almost blind Black Cochin can it get along by itself?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mistols, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Mistols

Mistols Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Kaysville, UT
    I have a sweet Black Cochin that we bought with a variety of chicks this last Spring. She has ended up at the bottom of the pecking order and seems so sad. A loner. She loves for us to let her out of the chicken run and will follow you like a dog. We have also recently noticed that she is probably blind. We will hold up food to her in our hand and she will have no clue that it is there. Plus she won't flinch when we wave our hand by her face.

Anyway, we have to move to a house that will not allow our chickens. (so sad) And I have to give or sell all my girls. Can a person just have one chicken? I have a neighbor that just might take her, as they have had trouble with normal chickens getting out of their pen etc. This one won't and I think would be a perfect match for them.

What do you all think?

Misti

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, if they pay attention to her, she might be just fine, but if she's outside, all alone, she won't have any noises to stimulate her. Chickens make noise when they see food.....They really do have their own special language. I wonder if they will hand feed her and make sure that she's able to find the water and such.

As long as they're aware of her special needs, she may be just fine! Good luck with re-homing her!
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by