Blind peeper

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beckaberry, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Beckaberry

Beckaberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted, but thought it would be a good idea to reach out because we have a blind little chick of 10 days old.

We hatched them in an incubator and had success with 5 (out of 10). Still tweaking things to make sure hatching is easier and more conducive to success. This little one was hatched normally and after 12 hours we put it in the brooder box with the others. It has acted like it's blind since its been walking around and I have no question that it is. My question is its adjustment later on. I suppose it won't be able to live with others because they'll peck at it. It would probably be cruel to pasture it also, since it would be like a sitting duck...

What sort of amenities do you all supply for your blind birds? Do you have a ramp to the roost? Also, it's pretty tiny compared to the rest, although it is finding food and water. Should I supplement its food ration with something packed with protein and fat or give it its own extra helping? It is really cute and seems to be alright otherwise. [​IMG]
    Yup, it's the one facing the corner :D

Dharmachick likes this.
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    SUper cute baby, I had a deaf one last year but she didnt make it she was a bantam with some very large fowl and when she was very young they kinda made a pillow out of her :( But since she's blind she might have to be a house pet or at the very least enclosed in a run or something or maybe you could find her a good home to someone who has a lot of free time to handraise a special needs chickie :)

Beckaberry likes this.
  3. Beckaberry

Jun 12, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    She's actually doing amazingly! She is adjusting to life in a flock like a champion. She laid her first egg yesterday and almost got it in the nesting box. Our rooster has also met her and is surprisingly gentle and calm with her. Nature is just so freaking amazing!!!

Dharmachick likes this.
  4. Dharmachick

Dharmachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    You give me hope for my blind chick. She is doing well except for the blindness. Do you keep yours in a run? I let my flock roam the backyard, about 1/4 acre, and have several broody coops. One is 3 motherless chicks, one of which is the blind one, and another one has a broody and her 6 chicks. I could keep her in the broody coop, or build another coop and keep her in a smaller yard with my polish. I'm not sure what to do.

5. Beckaberry

Jun 12, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    Hey Dharmachick, So in recent weeks I've actually had to make some changes to "Blindy's" situation. I know, her name is so not PC, but it just stuck haha.
    I integrated her with the other chickens and they were doing ok until the pecking order started emerging. Her sisters who she was raised with were still being nice, but the other girls were trying to kill her. She was so afraid and naturally, in defense, just squatted down and tried to hide her head. It made me feel really badly for her and I didn't want her to get an eye pecked out so I moved her out of the flock and built her her own apartment. It's nothing fancy and the picture is of it not yet complete, but it suits her just fine! She has a low roost, a feeder, and water. There is an area that she has been laying her eggs and she gets the companionship of the goats right next to her. I put her in a mobil tractor during the days when I'm home to eat grass and "dustbathe". She is actually pretty happy. I have a mama who went broody and hatched 3 chicks who love to visit with her and her sisters still go and visit when they are all out playing in the yard. I supervise her when she's wandering freely and actually the rooster is still being pretty docile with her. She does present too, so there's not much drama if he tries to mate. She really is an amazing little creature. So resilient!
    We also always have chicks on the farm and she is always free to be in the mobile tractor with them at all times. They are interested in her and she is happy to be with other birds.

All that being said, it can be stressful having a special needs chicken; especially one who is completely blind and who has never seen in her life. I will tell you that I had her upside down with a scalpel to her neck not long ago. I just thought, why bother?! She was a burden when you want keeping chickens to be easy. I stood there ready to cull her, though, and just couldn't do it. She is clean, healthy, productive, and very very sweet. It broke my heart to kill her just because she couldn't see. Building her her own apartment REALLY helped! I have no problem or added stress or work now, because I don't have to worry about her. I am so glad that I decided to let her live and I'm loving the way she has adapted. Sometimes the things that can be difficult can really teach us to adapt ourselves.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Attached Files:

6. Beckaberry

Jun 12, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    IMGP0456.JPG

7. Dharmachick

Dharmachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank you for your reply! I'm really relieved, and I have a space for her to get out on the grass, while still being contained. Alice is a fighter, since she was a feed store purchase in a failed attempt to put with a hen who hatched one chick. She lived a whole day being blind in a whole bin of chicks, so I think she will do well.

Blindy looks healthy and beautiful! I love her apartment and will build one for Alice. I will put a few docile pullets or chicks with her so she can follow them. I give the chickens oatmeal for a treat, and she ignores it because it doesn't feel like her crumbles maybe? I hand fed her today, and she was not impressed, lol.

8. Beckaberry

Jun 12, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    Haha! I know what you mean with treats. I feel badly but I literally have to shove her face into them until she grabs a bite and realizes she likes it.
    Alice will do fine eventually. Blindy now knows her name and I can watch her echo-locate when we hang out together. She comes when I call and constantly keeps me smiling :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by