Blind rooster in fight

BresChicks

Chirping
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Flamborough ON
I have a 2 year old rooster. He had got in a fight about a week in a half ago. He damaged his one eye. I cleaned him up and separated him. He was doing well except his one eye was shut. I was giving him electrolytes, probiotics in yogurt, and was eating normal. I was cleaning his wounds with iodine spray. Well he broke out of his coup on Friday and the rooster got at him again. I found him in my pond floating. They got at both his eyes and he was ripped up pretty bad. He’s currently in my house. I am giving him antibiotics and electrolytes. He has to be fed by syringe. I am mixing starter baby feed into his antibiotics. I am cleaning his eye with saline eye solution, and cleaning with iodine spray. I am going to attempt a bath in Epson salts. His one eye is opening but it looks all red. The other sometimes will flutter. Does anyone have experience with a red eye? His wounds are healing and he is a little more like himself, crowing lots. Will his eyesight come back? If not I’m assuming I will have to put him down. I am in Canada and not wanting to take to a vet and we can’t get medicine without a vet.

What breed is he and what breed was the other cock?
You do what you think is best but I would probably make soup out of both of them after collecting some eggs for hatching.

I am horrible with knowing my breed names. The injured one is a big black rooster. The one that attacked him is brown and black with feathers on his feet. The females of his kind lay a darkness’s brown chocolate coloured egg. If he doesn’t regain his eyesight he will have to go. The problem is I had 11 birds hatch naturally last fall while I was on vacation. Out of 11, 8 ended up being roosters. They are now at maturity and causing issues in the hierarchy. My husband has been trying to get some spare time to put them in the freezer. The two that were fighting are the babies dads who normally got along.

I just wanted to know if either was of a particularly aggressive breed. Big and black could be virtually anything. Brown and black, feathered feet and a dark egg is an easy one, that would be Black Copper Marans of the French type.
So they aren't fighting breeds.

Neither have been aggressive in the past. It was the change of all these added baby roosters that changed things. Normally I can handle them and my kids are around them with no issues

I believe the big black one is somebody sort of a mixed breed of austrolop or Easter egger. He is not a pure bread. I got him from a menonite farmer. He was supposed to be a hen that ended up being a rooster. I got multiple breeds from her that day, so either was supposed to lay blue or green eggs

524F368E-F7E1-41AA-8982-FEEBC6EFAE0E.jpeg

The first pic is Walter my bird that was attacked. This is an old photo when he was healthy. The second isn’t the greatest pic but that’s Cocoa who attacked him. Normally Walter was the alpha

Back
Top Bottom