Blindness but no other Meriks signs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by m1tankr00, Feb 6, 2015.

  1. m1tankr00

    m1tankr00 Out Of The Brooder

    12
    0
    22
    Feb 6, 2015
    So I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte that both of her pupils are dilated. She sees shadows and has a good weight. I just brought her into the house yesterday because the others were picking on her. Does anyone know of any treatments? She was fine until we treated the flock for worms. Everyone else is fine.
     
  2. chooks4life

    chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

    4,905
    586
    286
    Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Blindness isn't a common sign of Marek's at all. This could be head trauma or toxicity most likely, which means it's possibly a reaction to the wormer. There is always a percentage that cop the short end of the stick and have a reaction. Some wormers are more prone to causing that than others. Which wormer did you use?

    Various issues including prior liver damage especially can predispose individuals to suffering a reaction which can be fatal in some or permanently damaging in others. Liver damage is probably the number one most common organ damage all animals and humans suffer because it's the first line of defense against the numerous toxins we all encounter nonstop day in day out, and it's involved in everything from digesting to disease defense and blood cleansing etc. Industry estimates say 80% of chickens that die from disease die from digestive system issues of which the majority directly involve the liver. (Many diseases can be classed as digestive system issues since the liver is part of the digestive system, obviously).

    If the liver is damaged everything suffers repercussions especially the heart, kidneys and brain. So she may have already had something like fatty liver disease (very common) and looked fine until the wormer was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Not uncommon, but only a potentiality. Obviously all I can do is guess.

    You may be able to get more help from a vet if you can both afford one and have one that's knowledgeable about chickens in your area.

    She may have eaten something like snail bait or a toxified insect or plant, that's also very common, and lead poisoning is extremely common in all civilized areas and can also cause the same problems. Neurological symptoms which include dilated pupils are one very common sign of lead poisoning. Some hazards there include old paint, lead pellets, certain ceramic containers (particularly glazed ones), sinkers for fishing gear, etc.

    Immediate toxicity assistance is generally calcium. Crushed eggshells and dolomite are two very good sources. The body uses a heck of a lot of calcium to detox.

    If she'd eaten the toxin recently then activated carbon or charcoal could help but it sounds too late for that and we don't know that it was something she ate, though that's a good precaution either way if suspecting toxicity.

    Vitamin C in large doses is also very helpful. For a chook a large dose would be one 1000mg tablet, doesn't need to be an insane amount, doesn't need to be exact either. Whatever happened chances are it involved the liver directly and milkthistle and dandelion are two very important things that can help her liver to detox and heal. Some types of liver damage don't regenerate without one of those two being applied.

    Oats, not quick oats but whole oats (whole rolled oats are good) can also help draw out toxins and can help prevent and heal fatty liver and kidney syndrome/disease due to the Biotin (vit B7). They're also great for neurological issues in general, a particular nerve-influencing food, soothing in poultry but makes ruminants 'feel their oats'/get a bit hyper. Nutritious support food as well so definitely worth adding to her diet.

    Recovery may be slight or not happen at all, but I'd think there's still a chance. They can be amazingly tough little things. Good luck with her.

    Best wishes.
     
  3. m1tankr00

    m1tankr00 Out Of The Brooder

    12
    0
    22
    Feb 6, 2015
    Blindness isn't a common sign of Marek's at all. This could be head trauma or toxicity most likely, which means it's possibly a reaction to the wormer. There is always a percentage that cop the short end of the stick and have a reaction. Some wormers are more prone to causing that than others. Which wormer did you use?

    Various issues including prior liver damage especially can predispose individuals to suffering a reaction which can be fatal in some or permanently damaging in others. Liver damage is probably the number one most common organ damage all animals and humans suffer because it's the first line of defense against the numerous toxins we all encounter nonstop day in day out, and it's involved in everything from digesting to disease defense and blood cleansing etc. Industry estimates say 80% of chickens that die from disease die from digestive system issues of which the majority directly involve the liver. (Many diseases can be classed as digestive system issues since the liver is part of the digestive system, obviously).

    If the liver is damaged everything suffers repercussions especially the heart, kidneys and brain. So she may have already had something like fatty liver disease (very common) and looked fine until the wormer was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Not uncommon, but only a potentiality. Obviously all I can do is guess.

    You may be able to get more help from a vet if you can both afford one and have one that's knowledgeable about chickens in your area.

    She may have eaten something like snail bait or a toxified insect or plant, that's also very common, and lead poisoning is extremely common in all civilized areas and can also cause the same problems. Neurological symptoms which include dilated pupils are one very common sign of lead poisoning. Some hazards there include old paint, lead pellets, certain ceramic containers (particularly glazed ones), sinkers for fishing gear, etc.

    Immediate toxicity assistance is generally calcium. Crushed eggshells and dolomite are two very good sources. The body uses a heck of a lot of calcium to detox.

    If she'd eaten the toxin recently then activated carbon or charcoal could help but it sounds too late for that and we don't know that it was something she ate, though that's a good precaution either way if suspecting toxicity.

    Vitamin C in large doses is also very helpful. For a chook a large dose would be one 1000mg tablet, doesn't need to be an insane amount, doesn't need to be exact either. Whatever happened chances are it involved the liver directly and milkthistle and dandelion are two very important things that can help her liver to detox and heal. Some types of liver damage don't regenerate without one of those two being applied.

    Oats, not quick oats but whole oats (whole rolled oats are good) can also help draw out toxins and can help prevent and heal fatty liver and kidney syndrome/disease due to the Biotin (vit B7). They're also great for neurological issues in general, a particular nerve-influencing food, soothing in poultry but makes ruminants 'feel their oats'/get a bit hyper. Nutritious support food as well so definitely worth adding to her diet.

    Recovery may be slight or not happen at all, but I'd think there's still a chance. They can be amazingly tough little things. Good luck with her.

    Best wishes.
    [/quote

    Thanks for the help. We used Werzner for a week gave them 2 off and then Cordid. Hopefully we can get Miss Helen Keller to no longer need that name anymore
     
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. chooks4life

    chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

    4,905
    586
    286
    Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
     
  5. m1tankr00

    m1tankr00 Out Of The Brooder

    12
    0
    22
    Feb 6, 2015
    That is the correct name but probably spelled it wrong. I have to find the thisel and dandelion as it is winter here and is hard to find. She is still eating but I want to try and get her detoxed. Hopefully she can get her sight back. She really is a nice hen.
     
  6. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    28,998
    2,996
    471
    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. m1tankr00

    m1tankr00 Out Of The Brooder

    12
    0
    22
    Feb 6, 2015
    Well the only thing that she exhibited was large pupils. She might have gotten a head injury since as she has fallen down the hole more than once. I am going to get her some vitamins and see if that works. She is now separated from the flock so she can be stress free and safe.
     
  8. chooks4life

    chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

    4,905
    586
    286
    Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good luck with her, please let us know how it goes.

    Best wishes.
     
  9. Sonya9

    Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,250
    144
    191
    Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Wazine? That is a very common poultry wormer.
     
  10. chooks4life

    chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

    4,905
    586
    286
    Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Piperazine, the active ingredient in Wazine, does sometimes cause blindness in dogs or cats that are overdosed, or those that experience reactions to it at normal or miniscule doses, as happens to some individuals with genetic mutations that render them hypersensitive to it... Might be a possibility here.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by