Blindness causes

CeeJ

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I purchased 18 hatching eggs and added one of my own. I had 13 hatch. 2 of the chicks from the eggs I purchased died in the first 3 days having symptoms of wry neck. The chick from my eggs developed the symptoms, but somehow survived. They had tremors ... And their necks started twisting sideways and backwards. The two that died could not eat or drink. They also very rapidly lost use of the legs looking almost paralyzed on one side. It progressed rapidly. I braced myself for the worst, but everyone was doing great. About 2 weeks ago The chick from my eggs started with what I thought was rye neck symptoms, but then I realized he was only turning his head to see. I believe he is blind in one eye but healthy, growing at equal if not faster rate than the others. Now the newest problem. My 2 year old hen that hatched my own egg, is now acting as if she made be going blind as well. She is totally unrelated to all the others. The chick with the eye problem is now 10 weeks old. What is going on? It's been 10 weeks and kust now developing this problem. I've been searching for any disease/sickness but nothing seems to match quite right. Any guesses or suggestions are appreciated. I've been giving them vitamin supplements about 3-4 times a week. They've been wormed, treated for cocci, and given a 7 day course of duramycin. No improvement in either. All the other chicks and 2 other broody hens are great showing mo problems. I have no idea what to try next. There are no avian vets within 2 hours of here ... Possibly further but I gave up and stopped looking as the expense coupled with the travel and time off work to get there is not doable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tha
It is possible that it is Mareks Disease, but  I'm not sure what is causing the blindness.  These two links may be useful:  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031   and    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

Thanks! I was thinking it wasn't Mareks as the chick paralysis was only on one side and I've read it affects only younger chicks, and the latest eye trouble is in a 2+ year old hen. But, I can't find anything else. I wonder if they can get two different strains? Not sure how to find out. Ugh. Thanks again

You might post in the thead on here "Not an emergency--mareks in the flock" since many are on there every day and will answer questions. Mareks can strike at any age that they are exposed to it I believe.

Ok, thanks. As soon as I can figure out how, lol, I will post there.

Back
Top Bottom