Blindness in Dutch Bantams? **Pictures included**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rach123, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Rach123

Rach123 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Scotland
    Hi there,
    Was wondering if anybody could give me some advice/help me find out what is wrong with my bantams. Last month i found my cockerel lying in the grass and as i approached he didn't move (he was normally very flighty and would run away when i approached him), i brought him in away from the other hens and couldn't see anything wrong his eyes were clear from cloudiness and both his eyes and his nose were clear from discharge. So over the course of the week i began feeding him by hand and he wasn't improving, i went to pick him up one night and he got a fright this is when i noticed he was blind?! I phoned my local vet, our friend who is also a vet had a look at him, i sent our friend (who is an optician) photos of his eyes. And nobody came up with anything, we believe it to be neurological. The strange thing is he was fine that morning walking round with all the other hens and had been eating normally, then that night he was blind! I had not changed anything in their diet, the only thing that had changed was i moved their run to some new grass? Sadly he had to be PTS [​IMG]

Today, i noticed one of my hens was a bit less active than normal, we are having a heat wave here in Scotland at the moment [​IMG], so i just thought it was the heat, so i moved her into the shade. However about an hour ago i realized she hasn't moved in some while, so i brought her in to the house where its cooler, she is breathing heavily, standing up with her wings spread either side of her. Her eyes keep closing as if she is in pain. She will occasionally lie down -still with wings spread. I fear it may be the same thing as my cockerel but he wasn't breathing heavily or anything like that. I show my bantams and i fear that this is something more serious, please any suggestions or advice is MORE than excepted, need something to stop this happening to my other hens and to help the one that is suffering.

Many thanks

Here is some pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rach123

Rach123 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Scotland
    **UPDATE**
    I took this little hen round to a man who has bread racing pigeons for over 40 years last night and she really wasn't looking well, he gave her a tablet which helps their respiratory system in some way, then went away into his kitchen and gave her a drink. When he came back she didn't look great she had gone all floppy and i honestly thought he was handing me back a dead bird. He said that the tablet would either make her come right or be dead and he let me have a listen to her breathing and heart with a stethoscope which was very interesting, however he even said that she looks like she's past it and wouldn't make it through the night. So i put her in her box and left her for a few hours. When i went to check on her i was amazed! She was up had eaten all the food i'd left and was chirping away like nothing had happened! I couldn't believe my eyes, a bird that a few hours ago was practically dead was walking about better than normal!!

However suggestions about what has happened to my cockerel is still much appreciated.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are a few diseases that cause blindness and neurological problems in chickens, Mareks disease being the most common. So sorry about your little cockerel.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. Rach123

Rach123 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Scotland
    Thank You,
    Yeah i too thought it might have been Mareks but his eyes looked completely normal hence why i didn't notice he was blind until a few days after bringing him in. My vet said it may have been a stroke or some sort of trauma? Was so worried in case the same thing had happened to my wee hen last night, but thankfully she is perfectly fine today and is back with her friends in the flock. [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great to hear. I love your country--I was fortunate enough to see some of the Western Highlands last autumn. We would love to go back again someday.

6. Rach123

Rach123 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Scotland
    Thank you so do i! Currently having a heat wave so loving it even more. Its a great place if you can see past the terrible weather haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: