Blindness in lavender silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Wanting to discuss possible issues of blindness in lavender silkies. I don't have any personally, but know of 3-4 breeders that have had 1-4 birds that have become blind sometime prior to 2 years of age.

Of course, blindness can always occur in the form of cataracts in older birds. However, it would be so helpful to everyone if we could find out if this is just coincidental or if there is a possible genetic issues.

According to a Siggy, there is a relatively rare recessive gene that causes blindness in birds. Have any of you lavender owners had any problems?

I also have a thread about this on the ASBC forum and would like to encourage all you silkie breeders to join ASBC and help us make it a continuing thriving and valuable site. The book written by Siggy about silkie colors will only be offered from ASBC when it becomes available.

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    As you already know I had a female go blind without any sign of trouble at about six months of age.

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I had one that I suspected was either blind or partially blind. She ran, or should I say, right into stuff. She didn't act like she could see me pick her up. Shewas my only lavender. She also had some type of leg problem that kept getting worse and worse. Sadly we had to cull her. She was such a sweetie. I buried her in my flower garden.

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    This is the first I've heard of it, but I haven't been following Silkie sites. I have a porcelain hen who is blind, and she has a porcelain offspring, around three months old, who is suspect. This chick has a black full sibling, with just as big a crest, who seems to be fine.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The porcelain should be split to lavender. Wow, with an offspring with it does make it suspect, doesn't it?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Porcelain should be pure lav. If split, it is not porcelain.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Are they considered buff AND lavender then, Suze?

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Both mother and daughter are lav/lav, and son is lav/Lav. I am convinced that the mother is blind, as she can't find her favorite treat (banana) even when I aim it at her face. I've trimmed her crest, but there was no difference. The daughter is always sitting kinda scrunched up, and she is super easy to catch, even easier than the curious boys. Her brother has the same obscurative (I may have made that word up) crest, but he seems to get around fine.
    Video of mother: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5202513
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:When it gets almost dark, just enough light for you to see, take mag light and flash it in the eyes. Watch for them to react or see if the pupils move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by