Blister near her eye, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JanPaulchicks, May 21, 2019.

1. JanPaulchicks

JanPaulchicks Chirping

Apr 7, 2015
    70F7E9A4-C594-449E-A316-38C8D31B3026.jpeg Hi
    Can anyone tell me what to do or if I need to do anything?
    She has had this blister for months, seems healthy except it’s growing slowly bigger.
    I have left her so far as she feeds etc ok.

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does it feel like there is fluid inside the cyst or air? I haven’t seen a cyst like that before. It is really affecting her vision on the right side, isn’t it? Have you had any tumors or cysts in any other chickens before?

Sequel likes this.
  3. JanPaulchicks

JanPaulchicks Chirping

Apr 7, 2015
    Hi
    Nothing like this before. I wondered if it was from a peck, have kept an eye on her. I will try and feel it, will reply Friday
    Thank you

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Occasionally, I have seen on BYC where a chicken will have gotten a sting or tick bite and it swelled pretty large. Tick bites on the wattles tend to look bluish and bruised. Hopefully others have seen something similar and will comment.

Sequel likes this.
  5. JanPaulchicks

JanPaulchicks Chirping

Apr 7, 2015

6. JanPaulchicks

JanPaulchicks Chirping

Apr 7, 2015
    It is strange and affecting her sight. We have out chickens in a run, in UK so unlikely to be a sting.
    Thanks eggsessive

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi
    A closer photo would be helpful and some idea of if it is hard or soft. Also her posture looks very upright and her neck arched downwards. Is that typical for her or just the camera angle? How old is she? Has she or any of your flock suffered respiratory symptoms like nasal discharge, bubbly eyes or sneezing anytime in the past before this developed. Just thinking it could be an infected sinus or a fluid filled cyst but it could possibly be a tumour too.
    Her posture makes me wonder if there is something else more serious going on with her

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    azygous and Eggcessive like this.
  9. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Can you get a photo straight on?

It looks like her wattle is affected. Is that what we're seeing? Or is it the ear lobe? And please answer the questions @rebrascora has asked. We need more to go on.

Eggcessive likes this.
  10. JanPaulchicks

JanPaulchicks Chirping

Apr 7, 2015
    I’ll take a photo and check the ‘bubble’ thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: