Blister on hens foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tbristle, Jul 28, 2014.

1. tbristle

tbristle Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Chesapeake, Va
    Hi I have a hen who has scaly leg mites but now has a blister on her foot! I've read all kinds of stuff about how it could be bumble foot and how that is highly contagious. She is eating and drinking fine but is laying down because she is having a hard time walking. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. tbristle

tbristle Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Chesapeake, Va
    By the way I know don't think it's bumble foot because it is a clear puss blister on her leg!

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Bumblefoot is not "contagious" .. they are caused by an injury to the foot (not the leg) which then festers into bumblefoot. You also say this hen has scaly leg mites also? Please post a pic so we can get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

In the meantime, here's pages on both subjects:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=bumblefoot
    [​IMG]

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=scaly+leg+mite
    [​IMG]

4. tbristle

tbristle Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Chesapeake, Va
    Thanks! I will post a picture in the morning because it is already dark here, but I will say the scaly leg mites are not as bad as the link you posted.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Okay, great...in the meantime read both those pages I linked so you'll be educated in just what you're looking at...talk tomorrow!

6. tbristle

tbristle Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Chesapeake, Va
    Yeah I totally think it's bumblefoot! Check out the picks![​IMG]

7. tbristle

tbristle Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Chesapeake, Va
    [​IMG]

8. tbristle

tbristle Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Chesapeake, Va
    I cringe at having to do that surgery! Have you done it yourself?

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Fortunately I have never had that problem....yet. I would say to watch, re-watch, and re-watch that video to get a good idea of what/how to do this and I would also say have a HELPER there with you.. Sadly the problem won't just "go away" ... it will continue to get worse. So sorry I can't be of more help, keep us updated as to what is happening with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: