1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blisters in Does ears?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bheila, Jan 30, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I started treating Daisy for ear mites about a week ago because she had some bald spots and scabs on her ears. When I went out to treat her this morning I noticed that she has some blisters inside her ears that are filled with white pus. They don't seem to bother her and they aren't oozing. I popped one to see if it was clear fluid or not. What could this be from? Could it be an allergic reaction from the mite medication? She has never has any other medical issues before. The name on the bottle is Shapley's Original Mane Groom Tail. It's for dogs and horses but the lady at the feed store told me it would work for ear mites in goats.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    There are several things that can cause blistering. You start with the usual suspects - lice, mites & mange. Once those are ruled out you have to look at deficienies. Copper and selenium deficiency can cause lesions (little whitehead looking things) on the ears, face, belly, legs and nether-regions. Best to get a vet to look at it. I doubt, BTW, it's from the MTG (which I haven't ever used for mites).

3. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    She has no other blisters on her mouth, eyes or legs. Our wether doesn't have any either. I just went and bought them some Sweetlix yesterday too because they only had a block mineral before. I'll see if the vet has an opening tomorrow. Thanks!

4. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Sometimes, especially in breeding stock, the minerals aren't enough (even more true if you are or have been using a block - they're worthless to goats). This is why so many producers give copper boluses and BoSe injections.

The lesions from deficiency often start in the ears...but do have a vet do a scraping to rule mites and mange out first. They can also run a blood panel to check selenium levels, but copper is harder to check.

A doe I purchased from another breeder has what is known as congenital copper and selenium deficiency and developed the whitehead like lesions at around 6 months of age starting at her ears and quickly spreading over her body. It was terrible, but cleared right up with a rigorous BoSe series.

Good luck! Hope you have an answer soon!

5. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Okay, one more question. I was going to give the goats their CD/T today but then I noticed Daisy's ears. Should I wait to take her to the vet to see what is wrong with her first or would it be okay to give her her CD/T anyway?

6. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    C/D & T should not affect her negatively...I'd go ahead and do it.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It sounds like a secondary infection from scratching her ears.
    I'd put some antibiotic on it and see what happens.

You can tie up a fortune by taking goats to a Vet for things that can usually be treated at home.
    There would be other symptoms if it were a dietary ailment

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    She was never really scratching or rubbing her ears when I first thought she had the mites. So we'll see what the vet thinks tomorrow. I have an appt for her at 10am. I've only used this vet one other time when our wether got into our chicken food and almost died. He gave him 5 shots, 2 antibiotics and the bill was $175. I didn't think that that was too unreasonable.

9. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:While I am all for people learning to do their own treatments...this statement is VERY alarming to me. Yeeps...if you are sick...and you don't know why...you go to the doctor.

Other symptoms (of deficiencies) can be subtle, also. Novice owners might not have recognized them...heck even long time producers miss the signs. Not everything is textbook, nothing is black and white...and the answer sometimes is only found in the vac tube and centrifudge.

Please keep us posted, bheila!

10. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I wish my camera took good pictures close up. It just looks horrible and painful but like I said it doesn't seem to be bothering her, yet. I'll definitely let you guys know what the vet thinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by