Blisters on feet, belly feather loss

lang4800

Chirping
Dec 8, 2012
Hi,

I am very concerned about my chicken. First, we live in Colorado and recently had to evacuate due to the fires. We took my ladies with us but they had to live in a large, wire, dog kennel for about 8 days. They are now back in their coop. I have two chickens. One is completely fine no issues so it is not a flock wide issue. Here are the symptoms my lady has:

- both feet are still yellow but have blue sections.
- two large blisters on the same foot but no open sores or scabs.
- she can walk but is mostly just laying there not moving.
- loss of feathers on chest.
- still eating and drinking.
- just noticed her comb is also blue.

A few nights ago it was very cold and we noticed her laying outside. They usually go inside when it snows so this was very wierd. We picked her up and put her inside.
We thought it might be bumblefoot so we soaked her feet in Epsom salt and that's when we noticed the blisters that were now "popped and oozing" I used a syringe to squirt an antibacterial spay where the clear pus/liquid cans out. Placed a dry gauze on it And wrapped the one foot.

I don't think it is bumblefoot anymore because there was no scab or cut... and she has the feather loss and bluish colored feet.... again our other chicken is fine. Although neither is laying which I suspect is from stress due to the fire and high levels of smoke in the air recently.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Pictures would be helpful. Did you have any bedding in the wire crate? What were the lowest temperatures? Were they protected from the cold and wind? It sounds possibly like frostbite to the feet. I would continue the warm Epsom salts soaks to the feet once a day, followed by spraying with either chlorhexidene, Vetericyn or similar wound spray.

lang4800

Chirping
Dec 8, 2012
Pictures would be helpful. Did you have any bedding in the wire crate? What were the lowest temperatures? Were they protected from the cold and wind? It sounds possibly like frostbite to the feet. I would continue the warm Epsom salts soaks to the feet once a day, followed by spraying with either chlorhexidene, Vetericyn or similar wound spray.
Pics posted. The kennel had a plastic black bottom. Temps got into low 30 degrees F. I had a heat lamp in the kennel and covered it with a heavy blanket at night due to it being completely open. The night I found her sitting outside in the snow and moved her inside it was close to 9 degrees F.

Wyorp Rock

Blessed
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I agree, likely she's suffered from Frostbite.
She may have more going on like a reproductive issue since she didn't go inside and was laying in the snow, but I would follow the instruction from @Eggcessive about treating her. Make sure she's drinking well and eating. It will take a while to determine how much damage to the legs/toes there is.

lang4800

Chirping
Dec 8, 2012
I agree, likely she's suffered from Frostbite.
She may have more going on like a reproductive issue since she didn't go inside and was laying in the snow, but I would follow the instruction from @Eggcessive about treating her. Make sure she's drinking well and eating. It will take a while to determine how much damage to the legs/toes there is.
Dang. Thank you for the reply. I hope she is ok.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio

lang4800

Chirping
Dec 8, 2012
Thanks everyone for your help. So far so good! Here is what I have done so far. If anyone has any more advice based on what I have already done, PLEASE let me know.

- sprayed feet daily with Vetericyn.
- wrapped feet after spraying.
- given 3x IM injections of penicillin 1 injection a day (1 more to go).
- we also have found small black bugs on her. My other chick does not have any nor have I seen any in the coop, but to be safe I have:
- cleaned sand and shavings out of coop.
- sprayed coop with water, oil, and dish soap.
- dusted all chickens with DE.
- her leg scales are coming up, not sure if it's from frost bite or maybe leg mites... so I have rubbed Vaseline on her legs daily as well. My other chick is completely fine so I don't know why she has little black bugs on her... maybe they are picking on her because she isn't moving around much.

Anyway, I hope she continues to improves... I'll try and post more pics to sis improvement if I remember.

Top Bottom