Blizzard bound

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MaDonnaG, Jan 27, 2015.

1. MaDonnaG

MaDonnaG New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Hi All, I trudged through 3 feet of snow to feed and water my girls. They were safely locked in their coop. The run was partially covered by a tarp which came untied in the storm. The girls came to the door but did not come out. I reattached the tarp and closed the coop door. HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS: 1. Are they ok without access to food and water? They have hay bedding.
    2. Should I offer them another chance to come out to eat?

2. MaDonnaG

MaDonnaG New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    I am a new member in RI. I have 3 Bantam Brahma hens and they are supposed to be cold hardy. Their coop has been insulated on the top with chaise cushions covered with a vinyl tablecloth, for the snow. It is supposed to keep snowing and be really windy until 4 am tonight...

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Yes you should have feed and water available for them. The only time they would not need it is when they roost when it's dark. I would have food and water in the coop or have the coop open untill roost time so they can access it easily.
    Wishing you the best of luck with the horrendous weather you have, I have seen it on the news :frow

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. MaDonnaG

MaDonnaG New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Yay. Thanks for responding. I didn't want to leave their coop door open and have the wind whip in there so I closed them back in. So should I put some food and water inside their coop AND leave it open. IT would be dark if I close the hatch... Still snowing and blustery with no end scheduled til 4am.

6. MaDonnaG

MaDonnaG New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Is your name Golden Feathers? I am Donna Golden, I love your name. : )

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If your worried about the wind getting in could you put the food and water in and leave the door open just untill roost time? Or give them chance to eat and drink while you are there with it in the coop? Or if the weather is that bad with door open I think I would put the food and water in and shut the door. Leaving the door open though gives them the opportunity to come out if they want and it would be their choice. It is a tough one!

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I would put some food and water in the coop. They should be able to eat for most of the day, and water should be available at least twice a day.

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Your birds will need to have access to food and water at all times. If they don't have access to either of these can cause all kinds of laying issues and can cause a molt as well. So close the door to the coop if you have to, but put food and water in there as well.

Welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by