Blizzard chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the43k, Feb 25, 2013.

1. the43k

the43k Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Since I posted my other two chicken videos, I thought I would complete the set. Not much to offer as far as learning experience, but this is what my smaller coop looked like after a big blizzard last year. We now have a larger coop with more chickens. Hope you find it entertaining.

2. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    wow that's crazy I live in Rochester NY and I use to live in Hackensack NJ and Jackson Heights NY so I know what the winters are like. Luckily In Rochester because of our location we don't get it as bad as everyone else but we get heavy snow fall and this helps me out a lot with understanding how to protect my chicken coop! Right now it's been mild so I'm not too worried but regardless I'm going to prepare for that just in case.

thx that was cute, take care and enjoy the snow this year

3. the43k

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    The netting I used on the roof was actually 7' deer netting. The squares are a little larger and I think its stronger. As you can see, it will stretch pretty far. I ran a small wire from my large shed to a tree so that the netting has pitch. Sticks, leaves etc will land on it and it makes it easier to knock stuff off. Its also makes the roof higher so that an adult can walk underneath it normally.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Do i know that feeling, love that little coop, adorable! we actually cheated and the chicken coop is raised so no digging out [​IMG] now to get to it we had too.. the worst was the horses and ducks... you couldn't even open the gates to get to them to dig out yet again.

Thankfully, we do keep a small electric snow shovel handy... i like your yard! looks really nice!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Nice video.. Thanks for sharing! I noticed your rain collection at the house downspout... Nice! I also use a snow blower to blow paths around the farm to get to the livestock and chickens. You could add a roof structure to the center of you netting if your nets take a big hit with ice or deep snow. My run is covered but I have had to shovel it out a few times this year from drifting snow. Nice backyard coop!

[​IMG]

6. the43k

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Good eye, yes thous are Rain Water Hogs. You can youtube search that too. I have a video of the installation. Since then, I put on a Passive House addition (ha you can youtube that also). Anyway, with the addition I installed a 500 gallon underground tank. Should have done 1000 gallon plus. The tanks are hooked to several downspouts. We use this to water all our raise bed gardens, grass when required and plantings.

7. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Wow! Underground tanks!! I love my 50 gal rainbarrel! It is pretty much ice for a few months of the year so I have to haul buckets of water to the livestock/chickens daily. Great fresh water during the warm weather.

[​IMG]

8. the43k

Feb 21, 2013
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Some times the simplest idea works best. What I like about underground tanks and like I said, I wish larger, is that during the summer I like to water the grass when it starts getting brown. I refuse to ever use drinking water so my theory is bigger is almost always better. Some day if things ever get cost effective, I would create a gray water system to running toilets etc. For now, its just gardening, plants and grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by