Blizzard Nemo and your birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3 NH reds, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I packed my birds back in their coops and put tubs of water in with heaters to keep it from freezing up. Filled their feeders and gave them lettuce and fermented scratch grains. I just t hop this does not slow my egg layers down. Finally getting eggs after a long molt. What is everyone else doing for their birds if Nemo is coming your way? Lets all pray it isn't going to do any Major damage.

2. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    28" so far and still falling. Glad I set em up yesterday. Even my tall hound won't run!

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have liked to have just "a little bit" of your snow! We've had dustings but not much. I like a head of cabbage in the coop for the girls, and sometime I'll have to try the flock block.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Trust me I would love to give it away[​IMG]

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I figured it would be hype as usual. Yup, some areas, coastal side, got dumped on and most of use just had a nice drop of about a foot across the rest of New England. I did what I always do after a good drop of snow- shoveled out the run. Funny thing about that is it's always done before I shovel the driveway.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

lol

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    3 NH Reds. I hope your family and your chickens all come through this storm in good shape. I don't know what your setup is, but be sure their ventilation isn't blocked by the snow.

8. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    we did ok, every one alive and well and playing in the snow right now!

9. melina90

melina90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Ringerike, Norway
    Glad you all did okay through the blizzard! Here in Norway we have 2m of snow outside. This is the window of our 1st floor living room...:

[​IMG]

Now we're used to it and expecting it so we can prepare for this kind of weather. The chickens have survived perfectly fine in an unheated coop when the outside temperatures has dropped to -35F. They haven't been laying all through the coldest periods, but I didnt expect them to either. They just fluff up into little balls of feather on the roost, and hardly loose any body heat at all. I'm truly amazed by how good they are doing despites the cold. Some frostbite has been seen on the orpington roosters, but nothing serious.

10. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Yea thanks we did just fine 28" but today is warm and its melting some. Good excuse to run the tractor, it helped me to find the mail box!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by