blizzard warning in maine

bangor777

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Wow, we're forecast for 1-2 feet, this will be my first time shoveling out the coop, so far this winter we've had about 8 inches, not enough to have to worry about. Coop has an overhang, and a porch, so chickies were all set...but this one sounds like a big one! Any tips? I guess I'll go load them up with food and water this morning and hope they have the sense to stay close to home today!

Yes, we are in for a big one. I have to go to Agway this morning and get some more feed. I just emptied the bag in their feeder yesterday. My chickens have not come out of their coop unless we "take" them out! They do not like the snow at all!

Stay safe everyone! And this too shall pass!!

That's about all you can do, fill the food and water dishes. Close them in and wade to the coop tomorrow morning.

If you aren't on city water, having extra on hand is a good idea.

Sure sounds like a nasty one coming, I sort of looking forward to the break from running around getting ready for the holiday. It will give me time to slow down and just watch the snow and listen to the quiet that it usually brings with it.

At least we can all keep in touch with each other here, unless the power decides to take a vacation too. Be safe all.

I wish you all luck!
wink.png

We are getting hammered with it right now & the snow is deep AGAIN! This is about out 5th blizzard already in this early season.

We live a mile 1 & 1/2 from Lake Michigan so we get the winds & drifts. Constantly digging out & so far the chickens have survived very well.

I have a run in that was used for horses so only half is closed to block the wind. I give them plenty of food, water, grains & bread in the morning & then in the afternoon I bring them some warm mush of some sort. They love it!

Happy digging out when it is done! Sheesh!
tongue.png

Birds are batten down for the day-it's snowing here already on southern coast. Temp is up to zero though. I'm not up for four more days of winter camping so I hope we keep our power. I hope everyone in NH is back up from the ice storm. Snow we can deal with, time to bake the Christmas cookies. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Stay warm.

You know, you all, here in Texas it's cold and blustery but nothing like the rest of USA is getting. While horseback riding yesterday, we ladies were talking about when we lived up north -- PA, MD, etc -- and what a peaceful thing it was to take the kids out while the snow fell, muted all around, with only the sound of the snow plows, etc. Good memories --

Enjoy the relative peace and quiet and relief from the hectic pre-Xmas preparations. Enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and watch the wild birds at the feeder...oh, and maybe you'll have a fire in the fireplace, too. Even I'm planning on having one later on....

Blessings to all of you,

Lori good to see you on here.
I am making sure to fill up jugs of water in case we are to lose power. My poor chickies haven't been out in days because of the sub zero temps.

On a side note did you notice we are getting a Tractor Supply Company on Broadway? Cool huh?

It's heading here too, overnight, with hurricane force winds. I'm leaving extra water and feed for all the animals in the red barn, along with a couple of jugs of hot water deep in some bales of hay. It's hard work slugging water through the drifts, and even if the power holds on and we have water there, I'd rather know that once I reach the animals (and it could be much later than they are used to) that the needed supplies will be there. If the power goes it could be out for a long time.

Heads up in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, too!

It's been snowing down here since Friday. We got 10 inches 10 miles
away from the shore, it flurried all day yesterday,and it looks like we
got another 6 inches this morning.

I think you folks farther north may have missed it.

Wait, just looked at the weather map. Get the shovels ready.
tongue.png

Chickens are fine in the snow. We shoveled out their runs and threw down
scratch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom