Blk Langshan father, mother GLW, BO, EE, SF, BA, RIR, or NHR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zantroo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. zantroo

zantroo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    8 weeks old, two roos available as fathers: Black Langshan and Colombian Wyandotte. Langshan is probable due to chicks feathered legs which is hard to see in pic.

Chick #1
    I'm thinking mom is Gold-Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, Salmon Faverolle, Blk Austrolorp, Rhode Isl Red, New Hamp Red. My guess is EE or GLW, weighted towards EE. But . . . what is the thing with the taillessness??? It seems her legs have a greenish cast. Could I have an Amerucana throw back here???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick#2
    In the last 2 pictures: The pullet on the left with the black head. Same possible parentage, but I think mom is weighted more towards the Gold-Laced Wyandotte, but what say ya'll?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    The first one makes me think of the Easter-egger. Green legs, coloring, and no tail. I have a had a lot of tailess Easter-egger chicks grow tails later on.

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Are they as plump and stocky as they look?

4. zantroo

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    Quote:Thanks! That's kind of neat. We didn't think that any of the eggs being brooded were EEs. We only have 2 EEs- one lays green the other a pinkish brown that we can't tell from some of the other eggs laid. Do you know if the egg color is passed on true, or since EEs are such a hodgepodge of dna that a blue egg can produce a hen that would lay green?

5. zantroo

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    Quote:Hmm, not sure. They are sort of stocky, but not as much as seen in the pics. In the first picture of them at the water pail, the tailless one was drinking and her head is tucked in and so makes her look plumper than she is.

Why? Would that be an indicator for a breed?

6. houndit

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:Thanks! That's kind of neat. We didn't think that any of the eggs being brooded were EEs. We only have 2 EEs- one lays green the other a pinkish brown that we can't tell from some of the other eggs laid. Do you know if the egg color is passed on true, or since EEs are such a hodgepodge of dna that a blue egg can produce a hen that would lay green?

I breed Easter-eggers. Most of them inherit the colored egg gene but some do not. I hatched colored eggs last year and a few of this years hens lay brown. Most do not. If they were crossed with a brown egg layer I do not know what would happen. I think they would have a higher chance of laying brown.

7. zantroo

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    I breed Easter-eggers. Most of them inherit the colored egg gene but some do not. I hatched colored eggs last year and a few of this years hens lay brown. Most do not. If they were crossed with a brown egg layer I do not know what would happen. I think they would have a higher chance of laying brown.

Thanks -- maybe that's why she lays what appears to me to be brown (but my daughter calls 'pinkish') -- it is brown! [​IMG] Very good point on the chick having a brown egg dad, forgot about that.​

8. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    If you cross EE with a brown egg layer you can also get a chick that will lay olive colored eggs. I just thought they looked plump....I love plump chickens!!!!

9. houndit

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    True. If you cross an Easter-egger with a Black Copper Marans, you usually get an Olive egger. Maybe it works for light brown egg layers to.

10. zantroo

Aug 6, 2009
    Ozark, Missouri
    I'd love to have an olive egger! Hopefully she will be one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by